1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

use of "zo"

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by dukaine, Jun 21, 2012.

1. dukaine Senior Member

madison heights, mi
    english - american
    I know "ze" and "zot" are masculine and feminine, respectively, for "it/this", but I see the word "zo" sometimes. Are there special cases when this should be used? Is it colloquial for "zot"?

2. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    Nope. You can find both in the bible as well. However in the bible "zo" also means "that", like "asher"

3. Dotzi New Member

Hebrew
    "Zo" and "Zot" mean the same. However, many people tend to prounance "Zo" as "Zu" which is grammatically wrong. Furthermore, people also tend to say "Zoti" which is a mistake, since there is no such word. (Sorry if this confuses you, I just wanted to clarify some common mistakes.) Good luck!

4. arbelyoni Senior Member

Hebrew
    זוֹ [zo] should not be mixed up with זוּ [zu]. The former means "this/that" (f), the latter means "that", "which".

http://www.safa-ivrit.org/form/zovezot.php

5. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    I think that elaboration is needed, as zu is unknown also to native speakers:

* זה (ze) = this/that (masculine): this/that man is fat = האיש הזה שמן
    * זו, זאת (zo, zot) = this/that (feminine): this/that woman is fat = האישה הזוזאת שמנה
    זו (zu) = that/which: the man/woman that walks there is fat = האיש/אישה שהולך/שהולכת שם שמן/שמנה

Zu appears is the Bible (as written in arbelyoni's link) and also in Phoenician documents. See for example the Ahiram Inscription (9th century BC?), where זו zu is even contracted to just ז z and attached to the next word (like Hebrew ש), for example: ארון זֶפּעל אתבעל בן אחירם (Phoenician) = ארון שעשה אתבעל בן אחירם (Hebrew). Note that I added matres lectionis to the Phoenician text.

Ahiram Inscription (Hebrew): http://he.wikipedia.org/wiki/ארון_אחירם
    Ahiram Inscription (English): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahiram

6. dukaine Senior Member

madison heights, mi
    english - american
    Thanks everybody!!

7. David S Senior Member

Richmond, VA, USA
    English - US
    Can you provide some examples of the usage of the word "zoti"? It seems like it would have a narrower range of meanings than zot, i.e. perhaps zoti can always be replaced with zot but zot cannot always be replaced by zoti.

8. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    No, people use zoti instead of zot.

9. David S Senior Member

Richmond, VA, USA
    English - US

Are you saying that zot can ALWAYS be replaced by zoti? I am talking about conversational Hebrew and not written Hebrew, of course.

10. amikama

amikama sordomodo

ישראל
    עברית
    The discussion about "mistakes" done by native speakers has been moved to its own thread in the EHL forum.

11. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    yes, you can say zoti instead of zot anywhere.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  12. David S Senior Member

Richmond, VA, USA
    English - US
    Is "zoti" stressed on the second syllable, or the first? zóti or zotí?

So I can say: "Zoti ha-isha she-ani makir", and "Ani makir et ha-isha hazoti"?

13. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    zóti is the way it's pronounced.