1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Username

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by supercrom, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supercrom Banned

Cercado de Lima, Lima, Perú
    Homo peruvianus, practising AE n' learning BE
    Can we change our username?

There are lots and lots of registered people that don't use their username since months. I would like to change mine, but there is another user identified with that username...

Maybe some users can be delete because they have never been active. There are about 8142 users so far.

¿Podemos cambiar nuestros nombres de usuario siempre y cuando no se crucen con los de usuarios inscritos antes?

Gracias

2. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

I don't want to get in the business of deleting a username and giving it to somebody else. It might get ugly... Maybe if somebody has 0 posts.

Another thing that I don't want to spend time doing much is merge usernames. If you were to sign up for a second username, I could merge your current name into that name. (You keep your post count and the name on the posts will change, too.)

Let me offer this to any member who writes in this thread by the end of the week: I'll merge one member name into another. But you have to respond in this thread here!!!

Also, I reserve the right to change my mind if it gets too ugly!

Let's see if cuchuflete decides to get rid of that unnecessary accent in his name...

Mike

3. alc112

alc112 Senior Member

Concordia, Entre Ríos
    Argentina Spanish
    Hola Mike!!!
    Podría ser posible cambiar mi a minuscula por una mayuscula?
    Gracias

4. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    Why would I want to do that?

5. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

alc112,
    I'll try, but I'm not sure that it will work. Do you want ALC112?

Mike

6. alc112

alc112 Senior Member

Concordia, Entre Ríos
    Argentina Spanish
    no, thanks
    Mejor déjalo así. igual muchisimas gracias
    Regards

7. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Aha! your secret resentment appears, Sr. Máximo Líder. Yes, it is unnecessary, for sure, but it resulted from my attempt to register as Cuchuflete in a literary forum. The name was already taken by an innactive user! I added the tilde for obvious reasons, and ...well now it feels like an old pair of sandals! It's also something that particularly upsets a few of our grammarian colleagues.

If it bugs you, I can certainly live without it Mike. Just make the change, but don't tell me. Sort of like eating pulpo or percebes the first time...just do it, and ask questions later.

Losing the ´ certainly cannot be worse than getting used to myself after I shave off the beard or moustache. In a week or so I can't even remember what I looked like with them.

Bueno Sr. Mike the Barber, do your worst!!!

Cuchu, formerly Cuchufléte

8. Eustache

Eustache Senior Member

Costa Rica
    Costa Rica
    Hi Mike!, jeje my english is a little bit basic, so I would like to chance my user name but I guess the chance is a little bit complicated, I can understand you because I work with computer and internet application.... God! sometime the settings drive you crazy right!..

well, if you guess that to make the chance is complicated dont worry about this!, but if you guess that the chance is feasible I would like this username: Eustache

thanks!!!! and congratulation... this forum is great!!!!

9. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

Cuchu, I'll only change it if you want it changed. I do think the accent lowers the number of PMs you get from members who can't figure out how to create the accent.

vriverad, please sign up for that opther name with a separate email, so I can merge your current name into the new one.

Mike

10. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Mike, I'd rather be Jana instead of jz337. When I was choosing the nick, I didn't know (or realize) that it would appear on the screen anytime I post.
    Thank you in advance for the merger:)

Jana

11. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Oh no, I checked the user list and Jana is already there...
    OK, then Jana337.
    Thanks,

Jana

12. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Would that mean that I am supposed to login under the new nick?

Jana

13. Eustache

Eustache Senior Member

Costa Rica
    Costa Rica
    hi Mike!!!!, I created a user call Eustache, merge the information when you want!!

thanks!, vriverad

14. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    If it can be changed, I'm all for deleting the '. It seems to provoke at least one message each week from a new forero, informing me that it is "incorrect". I'd rather deal with a few extra PMs!

Thanks for the courtesy Mike.

Qxu

15. vachecow Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    USA English
    Could I get rid of the 121 on the end of my name?

16. supercrom Banned

Since you mention the ´ (the accent mark) on your username, I can say that I thought it was a French word... Now I see it isn't. It is a kinf of Spanish word!

CROM

17. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

I'll try to make all the requested changes tonight! So if you have trouble logging in tomorrow, try the new username.

Mike

18. supercrom Banned

Great job!, Mike
    You are the real almighty admin.

CROM

P.S. But I still have my very own petition, maybe you can delete users who are not active more than three months (you can specify this in the policy or rules).

19. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Thank you Mike, you are terrific!
    And I concur with Crom's P.S.

Jana

20. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

I just made the changes. Let me know if you have any problems.

Crom, I didn't change anything for you because I didn't see a requested new name!

Mike

21. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Does this mean that you've given me a haircut? Will it ever grow back?

Qxu

22. Eustache

Eustache Senior Member

Costa Rica
    Costa Rica
    Thanks Mr. Mike!!! I have my new account!!!! :) it was so kind of you!

23. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Thanks Mike,
    you have just saved me about 331 keystrokes per day! And you have freed me from the attacks of the grammatically correct! With the new haircut, I think I'll change my avatar to something more dashing.

Qxu nee Cuchufléte aka Cuchu aka Cuciu

24. El Hondureño Senior Member

New York, NY
    USA;English,Spanish,Brazilian Portuguese
    I hope this is not to late, should I go and change my name to El Hondureño now?

25. supercrom Banned

Hi

I recommend you to register a new user with the username "El hondureño", then send a PM (Private message) to mkellog with your request.
    It is possible that he merges both accounts into only one.

CROM

26. the-pessimist Senior Member

England
    English, United Kingdom
    Hi Mike - is this offer still open? it is really important!

27. roana New Member

Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina
    Argentinean Spanish
    Hello ! I have had my account since 2011 I believe, but haven't used it all this time. Today I decided to update my account as I have started to use Wordreference more and more often with my writings and so on. I don't really like to use "roana", is it possible to change it to MLoraV ? I believe it is not in use. Please, let me know how to make this change.

Thanks a lot !
    ex Roana ....hopefully MLoraV soon

28. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    Hello Roana. :)

Please see the information on the Contact Us form, notably:
    Although today was your first post, I realize you have had your account here for over 6 years, and you might have a large number of subscribed threads plus a few saved private messages. This makes your situation a little different from the average recently-registered and low-postcount member who wishes to change usernames. So if this is your case, I recommend that you write to Mike using the Contact Us form to explain the precise nature of your situation and why it would be helpful for you to keep your current account under a new username, rather than simply creating a new account.

Jann

29. roana New Member

Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina
    Argentinean Spanish
    Hi Jann, thanks for your prompt reply.
    I will follow the first suggestion: I will re-register under a new user name and stop using this account - I will change the email first. I just realised that I had this account for such a long time, but it has been unattended most of the time.
    Regards, ex - roana

30. Mackinder

Mackinder Senior Member

Bogota
    Espagnol - Colombie
    Mister Mike could you please change my username to Mackinder? Thank you! :)

31. mkellogg Administrator Staff Member

Sure, if you follow directions and send the request through the Contact Us form. :D This helps me keep all the requests in one place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.