1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

using / by using

Discussion in 'English Only' started by HunJohn, Aug 5, 2011.

1. HunJohn Junior Member

Budapest
    Hungarian
    Hello everyone!

I would be grateful if you could tell me which of the following sentences is correct:

a. The FTU can be configured using the File Transfer Administration tool integrated under the Toolbox.
    b. The FTU can be configured by using the File Transfer Administration tool integrated under the Toolbox.

Thanks in advance.

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
  3. HunJohn Junior Member

Budapest
    Hungarian
    I think the correct answer is b. because the first part of the sentence is in the passive voice and the FTU cannot configure itself.

4. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    In reality, both are correct. The "by," indicating manner or agency, is optional and can be omitted in a sentence like this. I actually prefer sentence (a) due to its conciseness.

5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I agree and disagree with Glen (post #4): They're both correct, but I think that stylistically, sentence (b), with "by", is preferable.

6. smilish New Member

Mandarin
    Which one of the two sentences as phrased would be favoured in academic writing?

7. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Hello smilish, and Welcome to the Forum! :)

I believe that both are acceptable. Do you have a particular academic context in mind? Providing one would be helpful. :)

8. smilish New Member

Mandarin
    Thank you Beryl for your reply. :)

I do not have a particular academic context in mind at the minute but will post here the next one I encounter in the course of my paper writing.