using "for example" in the middle of the sentence.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by better_in_time, Oct 20, 2010.

1. better_in_time Senior Member

Chinese, Thai
    I found these two sentences in an ESL textbook that I read:

1. Children may use words that wound. Three-year-olds in nursery schools, for example, may call each other "dumdum."

2. Children can cause emotional hurt to their classmates. By junior high school days, for example, young teenagers may shout out the people they do not like.

I wonder what is the rule of inserting "for example" into sentences. In the first sentence, I see that the phrase is put after the subject noun phrase. In the second, I see that it is put after the adverbial phrase of time and before the subject.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southwest France
    English - England
    I don't think there's a rule, Betterintime. I don't like your sentences much - I'd prefer to see the for example at the start of the second sentence in each case - but I wouldn't call them wrong.
  3. better_in_time Senior Member

Chinese, Thai
    thanks thomas!
  4. b1947420 Senior Member

I think that by inserting the term "for example" within the sentence rather than at the start, it has the effect of emphasis on "Three-year-olds" in the first case and "By junior high school days" in the second.

I agree with Thomas that both methods are valid, just that one method over the other is a matter of style and / or emphasis. :)