1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Using money to buy the bike was not economical and may teach Sam to be frivolous with money

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by frenchie911, Apr 16, 2007.

1. frenchie911 Senior Member

Paris, France
    USA, English
    Hi! I am hoping to say "Using money to buy the bike was not economical and may teach Sam to be frivolous with money.

Below is what I have come up with.

Utiliser l’argent pour acheter le vélo n’était pas économique et pourrais apprendre a Sam être frivole avec l’argent.

Please help me if you can! Thank you in advance.

XOX

2. l'étudiant Junior Member

US- English

....pourrais enseigner Sam d'être frivole avec l'argent.

je pense...

3. frenchie911 Senior Member

Paris, France
    USA, English
    oui oui, c'est vria. On ne devrait pas utiliser "apprendre" la! c'est veut dire to learn et je veut dire "to teach"

Merci!

4. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    Utiliser l’argent pour acheter le vélo n’était pas économique et pourrait apprendre a Sam à être frivole avec l’argent.

That said, être frivole avec l'argent isn't really good, event if the meaning is possible to understand. I think it would be much better to say:

Utiliser l’argent pour acheter le vélo n’était pas économique et pourrait rendre Sam dépensier.

5. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    I'm sorry but apprendre does have both meanings in French!

6. frenchie911 Senior Member

Paris, France
    USA, English
    Oh, that sounds much better! I could tell it was a bit awkward (especially with using l'argent twice), though I wouldnt have come up with that phrase myself! Thank you!