1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

uso apóstrofe en este caso

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by mlj, Oct 29, 2008.

1. mlj Senior Member

Argentina
    I've translated the next text and I have my doubts in the use of the appostrophes, I really don't know if I can ommite them or not, is there any rule to these cases??'

Original text
    PERIODICIDAD DE PUBLICACIONES

Las publicaciones se realizan en forma periódica y se anuncian anticipadamente en el Cronograma de Publicaciones, el mismo se puede consultar de manera online en nuestra web.

my try:
    Report’s periodicities

The reports are periodical and they are announced with anticipation in the Publication’s schedule , and you can look up online in our site.

I'll appreciate any kind of opinion, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    Hola mlj,
    How about, "The reports are published periodically and their publication is announced in advance in the Schedule of Publications, which can be consulted on our web site."

3. vimmex Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    No estoy seguro de a qué te refieres al preguntar si puedes omitir los apóstrofes. Si hablas de cuando marcan un posesivo, como en tu ejemplo, entonces no se pueden omitir. Si te refieres a que si está bien usar el posesivo " 's " en estos casos, entonces te comento que creo que en el segundo caso está bien, pero en el primero quedaría mejor (a mi gusto) como "Periodicity of the Reports".

Otras sugerencias:
    anticipadamente = ahead of time, in advance
    se puede consultar = can be seen, can be checked, can be found

look up se usa para cuando buscas algo en el diccionario o en una enciclopedia.

¡Saludos!

4. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about the apostrophies.

In the first example, "Report’s periodicities", I believe it is referring to the publication schedule of various reports (plural), so it should be "Reports' Periodicities," but I have to tell you that I have never heard the word "Periodicities" used before (it's precisely correct, just not commonly used). My recommendation would be "Schedule of Report Issuances" or "Publication Schedule" or something like that.

In the second example, "Publication’s schedule" (Cronograma de Publicaciones), I don't think we're dealing with a possessive at all - it's a schedule (consisting) of publications, not a schedule belonging to the publications. So I would use either "Schedule of Publications" or "Publication Schedule."

I hope that helps.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  5. mlj Senior Member

Argentina
    Thank you!