utilize vs utilise and utilizer vs utiliser?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by webgaya, Nov 25, 2007.

1. webgaya New Member

Sri Lanka
    Which Word is more appropriate to use, "utilize" or "utilise"?

Does word "utilizer" in fair use, MS Word shows it as wrong,
    or "utiliser" in good use?

Thanks.

2. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    Hello, welcome to the forum, webgaya :)

It's always a good idea to check a dictionary first: see here for the verb "utilize":

I think they're both correct. British English uses mainly "utilise/utiliser" while "utilize/utilizer" is probably American English.
    Your spell-checker is set on one of them, but you can change it.

3. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    'Utiliser' is fairly uncommon, however. 'User' is more common.

4. nzfauna

nzfauna Senior Member

Wellington, New Zealand
    New Zealand, English
    NZ English uses -ise in all relevant words.

I would never say "utiliser", only ever USER.

5. wouldyoueva? New Member

USA-English
    To utilize something means to take something made for another task and adapt it for another purpose.

You can UTILIZE a screwdriver to USE as a hammer. (But it's still a screwdriver.)

And someone who does this could be called a utilizer. (And someone who needs a bigger toolbox!)

6. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    Is that an accepted AE use of the word 'utilise'? I have never heard it used with that meaning, and neither has my dictionary.

7. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    It is new to me. I'm guessing that some unabridged dictionary has that as definition #5, or maybe #14. It is not an accepted (read: idiomatic) AE use in colloquial speech or writing, and I've never seen it in formal writing, though I won't say it doesn't exist somewhere.

8. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

This definition at www.m-w.com seems to back up the interpretation by wouldyoueva?
    Etymology: French utiliser, from utile Date: 1807 : to make use of : turn to practical use or account <I'm a great person for utilizing waste power — Robert Frost>

Etymology:
    French utiliser, from utile Date: 1807 : to make use of : turn to practical use or account <I'm a great person for utilizing waste power — Robert Frost>

It's also not uncommon to see "utilize _____ to their advantage", including "utilize this setback to their advantage." It does have a sense of re-purposing (to use a jargony word) the item or event.

9. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Wow, that's a shocker:eek: