1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

vázanost

Discussion in 'Čeština (Czech)' started by slavicist89, Mar 1, 2013.

1. slavicist89 Junior Member

English - England
    Hi everyone,

I can't find 'vázanost' in the dictionary, and Google translate offers 'limitedness', which doesn't make sense in the context. Here is the paragraph, found in Halík's speech "Katolická církev v České Republice po roce 1989":

"Zároveň vznikají jiné formy náboženských seskupení - zatímco některé "novotvary" (typu sekty), ať už v těle stávajících náboženství nebo mimo ně, posilují zejména emocionální vazbu mezi členy a vázanost na charismatické vůdčí osoby".

I was wondering if 'dependence on' might be a good translation here, but am not sure if I have understood correctly?

Thanks,
    Slavicist89

2. Hrdlodus

Hrdlodus Senior Member

Yes, it is good translation.
    Maybe exists some better word for exact translation, but "dependence on" is right translation.

3. werrr Senior Member

Practically any Czech adjective could be turned into noun using the suffix -ost but only the most frequent nouns of this kind are listed in dictionaries. Hence look for the adjective!

It's one of the adequate usages in Mathematics.

It's acceptable translation but it may mislead one to think that it means an asymmetrical relation (leader and followers) which is not implied (neither denied) by the Czech word. (I refer to the very word vázanost - hence ignore the adjective vůdčí.).

Perhaps bonds to, ties to, close attachment to, linkage with, interlinking with.

4. morior_invictus

morior_invictus Senior Member

Slovak
    ...allegiance to a charismatic leaders."

5. Interfector Junior Member

Think about it as tied to - vázati means to tie, for example a knot. It means someting is tightly connected to somethig else.

6. littledogboy

littledogboy Senior Member

Mr werrr is spot on, as often. I personally would render it as (emotional) bond here, kind of like when explaining the Stockholm syndrome. (not bond between .., bond to ..)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  7. slavicist89 Junior Member

English - England
    Dear all, thank you very much for the valuable information! That helps a lot. Best wishes, Slavicist