V-F-XXX and C.Licenciado

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Noe11, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Noe11 Junior Member

Kanada
    Spanish (Paraguay)
    Yes, two questions in one thread :) This again is for the translation of a court case in Mexico; I keep coming upon these abbreviations, and can't find any website that can help.

"V-F-123" (the number is just an example), shows up every time there in mention of any evidence used in the original trial, i.e. when referring to witness testimonies, crime scene evidence, etc. Any ideas on what the abbreviation would stand for, and/or what the equivalent would be in the Canadian legal system?

The other abbreviation, the letter "C", is mentioned in front of, for example, "Licenciado", i.e. "C. Licenciado Pepe Perez", and also in front of the translation of judge, i.e. "C. Juez".

Again, for Mexico. Thank all!!

2. Juan Jacob Vilalta

Juan Jacob Vilalta Senior Member

México
    Español/Francés
    I haven't any idea about V-F-123.
    About C., we have a lot... have you searched in past posts?:)
    It stands for ciudadano (citizen).
    We all agree, more or less, it must not be translated.
    Luck.

3. Noe11 Junior Member

Kanada
    Spanish (Paraguay)
    Thanks Juan, yes I have looked in previous posts, there used to be one but it was removed, so...I doubt very much it stands for "citizen" in this case, that would just not make any sense.

4. Noe11 Junior Member

Kanada
    Spanish (Paraguay)
  5. Juan Jacob Vilalta

Juan Jacob Vilalta Senior Member

México
    Español/Francés
    I beg your pardon?
    It certainly stands for ciudadano, créeme!
    Muy común en México, es una fórmula "republicana", nada más.

6. Noe11 Junior Member

Kanada
    Spanish (Paraguay)
    See my previous comment...

7. Noe11 Junior Member

Kanada
    Spanish (Paraguay)
    Thank you again Juan; one thing I like about translations is learning new things :) Just bumping up the topic again to see if anyone can help with the V-F-123. I understand it as the evidence/witness testimony numbering used in court, for example:

"Based on the sketch of the crime scene (V-F-151), the scenario of a quarrel is rendered improbable..." or
    "The witness C.F.W. stated that he was behind the house when his father was killed (V-F-111 to 130)"

I suppose that if I cannot find the translation for it, I will leave it as is.

8. Noe11 Junior Member

Kanada
    Spanish (Paraguay)