1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

V1 V2 V3

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Radioh, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Australia
    Vietnamese
    Hi all :) Every verb in English has three forms, namely base form, past simple and past participle. For convenience, we usually use V1 for base form, V2 - past simple and V3 - past participle when learning English in my country. But I've read some threads on this and it seems that native speakers aren't familiar with these terms. Maybe they're only common amongst learners. My question is: do you use V1, V2, V3 when learning/teaching English ? Are they common ?
    Thank you.

2. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In French, we don't use this to learn or teach English but generally
    infinitif/base verbale (V1) = V or even BV nowadays (so then you've got 'Ø V', 'to V', 'Ving')
    prétérit (V2) = V-ed
    participe passé (V3) = V-ed or V-en apparently

Even if we learn the irregular verbs in this order, we don't refer to these verb forms as V1, V2 and V3 (and I am not sure I would have been able to guess what these were. I certainly was not expecting that when I read the title! :D)

3. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    I'm not familiar with the usage you mention. To me, V1 / V2 / V3 sound like *positions* of the verb, rather than forms of it. I remember seeing this notation (or a similar notation) used in various places before.

For example, you could say that English declarative sentences are "V2 sentences" since the verb is usually in the second position, after the subject. Or, if a language tends to have the verb in final position in all sentences, you could call it a primarily V3 language.

4. Словеса Senior Member

Русский
    Hello,
    No. In Russia we don't. We use approximately the same titles as English-speaking people themselves do. They are conveinent for us, because we, too, have participles, past-tense forms, and infinitves in our language, such kind of scheme is kind of indispensable for us, we are used to thinking in its tenets. For you, since you have different grammar and different grammatical thinking, these words must be somewhat deprived of sense, so I understand why you avoid them. By the way, how do you call the "-ing" form ("gerund", "present participle" in English)? In our tradition, it's the fourth form of the English verb.

5. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    V1, V2, V3 notation is extremely commonplace in Turkey.

Actually, it's the proper grammatical terms (past participle, supine, etc.) that aren't very well known here.

6. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    The form V1, V2 and V3 are not used in Sweden when learning English, we use grundform (or infinitiv), imperfekt and perfekt particip.

7. Dib Senior Member

Germany
    Bengali (India)
    In India (or at least, in the school system I was educated in: India has many - mostly state-wise separated - independent school systems, or "education boards" as we call them), we use the terms infinitive, past tense, past participle. V1, V2, V3 won't be understood here.

8. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Australia
    Vietnamese
    Thanks everyone. I've learnt many things from you.

9. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Australia
    Vietnamese
    V-ing or gerund, in this case. And I didn't know it's the fourth form.

10. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    No, the V1, V2 and V3 terminology is completely unknown here. We call these forms like the English do: infintive, past, past particple, gerund etc.

11. YellowOnline

YellowOnline Senior Member

Berlin, Germany
    Dutch - Belgium
    I can confirm that in Belgium that terminology isn't used. Moreover, it can be confusing with the terminology for word ordering systems (that's what I expected when clicking this thread).

12. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    These terms were not used in the English lessons I attended at school. Later, I taught English to non-native speakers for a while; I didn't use these terms (in fact I wasn't aware of their existence at that time).

13. Словеса Senior Member

Русский
    Ah, I understand. So, you chose a more descriptive name for it, one that describes its formation.
    Well, this form is just yet another thing that one can make from the verb following schematic rules, so no wonder that in the grammar I consulted it gets into the same chapter as the other forms.

14. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Australia
    Vietnamese
    Exactly. We also use V-ed, but then learners sometimes get confused between past simple and past participle.
    Sorry Словеса, but I don't get you here. Could you explain it a bit more ?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  15. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Australia
    Vietnamese
    Thanks Mr sound shift. What about V.pp for past participle ? Is it familiar to you ?

16. Словеса Senior Member

Русский
    I found the text-book that I was using when I was starting to learn English (I thought I gave it away – no, I didn't). I am quoting from it (it was written in Russian, of course):
    As you see, they all got into the same chapter (well, no – "section"). Then, the book explained in the next sections that by "the participle I" it meant V-ing. The textbook was written in 1963, so I think that its three composers made this work collectively with other colleagues, agreeing on principal ideas; probably, this was a kind of established terminology. I used to think that the idea of four basic forms was accepted by all, but I of course cannot know. This formula was easy and convenient for memorisation.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  17. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    I'm not Sound Shift, but as another English speaker, I'm familiar with "PP" for the past participle, not "VPP". For the present participle, you can say "Pres.P".

18. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Australia
    Vietnamese
    This seems reasonable to me as well. Participle I(II) is not used here, in Vietnam.

19. Radioh

Radioh Senior Member

Australia
    Vietnamese
    Thank you so much, Gavril. Another lesson learnt.

20. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
    In Hong Kong, the base form is called the base form, the past simple is called the past simple, and the present participle is called the present participle. However, the past participle is usually abbreviated as PP. For example, the passive voice is 'is/am/are + PP' and the present perfect is 'has/have + PP'. There are a handful of teachers who number the four forms (base, past simple, past participle, present participle) but it's a bit ambiguous because the present participle sometimes comes before the past participle in verb lists.