1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. emilyrose Senior Member

English, USA
    I've looked at the other examples, but I still don't see a clear literal meaning as well as translation for this expression, which I know is common in France. I'm guessing it means "fuck off" (yes?), but what is the literal meaning?

2. caroy Senior Member

cheptainville
    France, French
    you're right, that is what it means. 'chier' is a slang word for 'defecate'.

3. emilyrose Senior Member

English, USA
    That's what I thought, but it's just hard for me to imagine "go defecate" as a command. ;-)

4. caroy Senior Member

cheptainville
    France, French
    Well, 'fuck you' is quite strange, too, isn't it? :)

5. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    And 'go fuck yourself' even stranger!

6. I've a feeling that va chier is a bit less strong than "fuck off" or its variants in English. Perhaps the slightly milder "piss off" is better? (Might only be British English, though.) And then enculez or va te faire foutre for "fuck off", "go fuck yourself"...

7. ViviVenom New Member

Near Paris
    France, french
    I think 'Va chier' is the equivalent of 'Va te faire foutre' except that 'vas chier' is used in Quebec and the other is used in France.
    So, if I'm right 'Vas chier' (they sometimes say 'vas donc chier') means 'fuck off' and not 'pissed off' , 'cause 'you piss me off' means 'tu me fais chier'

PS: sorry for my bad english X3

8. Hi ViviVenom, and thanks for this message. But it's not quite right.

There are actually two senses of the phrasal verb 'to piss off':

Sense one is an impolite way of saying 'to leave':

"He spent twenty minutes trying to sell me a vacuum cleaner, then pissed off."

Il a passé vingt minutes à essayer de me vendre un aspirateur, puis il s'est tiré.

You would usually be saying this about someone you didn't like much--in this case a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman. "Piss off!" is an imperative of this sense: tire-toi! casse-toi! or, a bit stronger, va chier (I think). It's rude, but it's not extremely rude.

Sense two
    is an impolite way of saying "to irritate, annoy".

"He spent twenty minutes pissing me off telling me about vacuum cleaners, then left."

Il a passé vingt minutes à me faire chier avec ses histoires d'aspirateur, puis il est parti.

This is very commonly used in the passive voice:

"I'm really pissed off--this guy just wasted twenty minutes of my time trying to sell me a vacuum cleaner."

Je suis très emmerdé--ce type vient de me faire gaspiller vingt minutes en essayant de me vendre un aspirateur.

This is the sense you are using here when you say "pissed off": an adjectival phrase made from the past participle of phrasal verb. Ça me fait chier is an almost perfect translation for "that pisses me off" (and vice versa): the scatological meaning is captured, the level of vulgarity is about the same (moderately strong).

Note that sense one is an intransitive verb and can't be used in the passive voice like this.

Note also that, as far as I know, both of these senses are used in British (and probably Australian) but not American English. In American English the equivalent of "He was really pissed off" would be "He was really pissed". In BE this last phrase would mean "he was really drunk"--not, as far as I know, the usual American meaning, though I can think of at least one instance where I've heard it being used like this in AE.

Anyway. Ça suffit :)

Cheers!

9. Oh, and by the way, bienvenu au forum !

10. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

Actually in AE he was pissed off is said just as much as he was pissed--but both mean the same thing--Ça l'a fait chier/Il était emmerdé.

BE he was pissed = AE he was wasted/drunk/tanked/shitfaced, etc. = il était bourré

11. Canard Senior Member

Portland, OR
    English, USA
    Get bent!
    Up yours!