1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. lexxemma Senior Member

Spanish
    Hi, I know that willy is a term used for and by children to refer to penis, but I'd like to know if there's anything similar to talk about girls' vagina. What raises my interest is the kind of language to be used when talking to small children without sounding too rude or dirty. For expample, we use in Spanish childish words such as "colilla" for penis or "pocheta" for vagina, which are the words we used to use when we were children.

Thank you.

2. sonic Senior Member

Spain
    British English (Scotland)
    The best I can think of is the term "front bottom", although personally I think it´s a bit of an aberration of a term.

Maybe the expression "between your legs" is better.

3. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    sonic - ¿Te parece que "fanny" no es apto para niños?
    (En EEUU, por cierto, "fanny" = culo, y no es nada vulgar.)

4. sonic Senior Member

Spain
    No, fanny is quite rude. At least in Scotland, you would never use the word fanny when speaking to a child.

It´s quite strange really, how there are so many different words for penis, but so few for vagina (or at least the ones we have for vagina are almost all extremely rude or offensive).

5. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    Thanks, sonic. I'm afraid all the Britons I've ever associated with have been coarse and crude, so I know sweet Fanny Adams about expressing things delicately in British English. I thought "fanny" was the polite alternative to the C word.

6. rainbow84uk Senior Member

Barcelona
    English, UK
    No, I totally agree with sonic. While 'fanny' is a fairly soft word for adults, I'd say it's about equivalent to using 'knob' to mean 'penis', so not likely to cause great offence but not really what you would teach a child to use.

For children, I can only think of very twee terms like front bottom or in-betweenies (both of which just make me cringe!)

L x

7. Joaqin Senior Member

Spanish – Colombia
    How about 'pudenda'? Can someone give an opinion of this word's usage, please?

8. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    Los padres anglohablantes no sabrían a qué se refiere. Es una palabra más o menos culta, técnica.

9. lacasito Senior Member

España
    Español (Castellano).
    I think I heard someone yelling "fanny clapper" to someone else when I was in England. In that time I didn't really know the meaning, but now I don't think childish either.

How about "vulva"? Haha, it's kind of funny (not fanny) and I think here they teach that word in kindergartens.

10. obz

obz Senior Member

Los foros de WR.
    Yankee English
    He oído "cha-cha"/"who-who" entre otras, suelen ser palabritas inocentes de dos silabas repetidas.
    Y esto va para chicos y chicas.

"fanny clapper", de veras, me da asco, especialmente ya que se asocia con niñas.
    "vulva" es un termino muy "anatómico" no creo que se use con jóvenes.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  11. Joaqin Senior Member

Spanish – Colombia
    No sé a que porcentaje o segmento de la población te refieres, porque, si bien es cierto que no es muy usual, no he conocido todavía el primer británico que no sepa que es 'pudenda'.

12. syntr

syntr Senior Member

English - US
    I disagree, in the US fanny isn't rude at all, and is used quite often when speaking to children, although it is a replacement for "butt".

13. rainbow84uk Senior Member

Barcelona
    English, UK
    But the OP is looking for a synonym of 'vagina', not 'butt'.

A US English speaker suggested fanny as a possibility in British English (where it is a synonym of 'vagina'), but it has been rejected by two British English speakers because it's not as mild as the US English speaker thought.

14. syntr

syntr Senior Member

English - US
    Sorry, I didn't see aztliano's post :eek:
    This is really strange, but I can't think of anything. :|

15. sonic Senior Member

Spain
    I´ve never heard the word "pudenda". Is it Spanish or English?

16. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    Neither. It's Latin. Las vergüenzas. (And thanks for proving my point, heh heh.) It's the plural of pudendum.

pu·den·dum
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural puden·da
    Etymology: New Latin, back-formation from Late Latin pudenda, from Latin, neuter plural of pudendus, gerundive of pudere to be ashamed -- more at [SIZE=-1]PUDIC[/SIZE]
    : the external genital organs of a human being and especially of a woman -- usually used in plural

[SIZE=-1]"pudendum." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com ( 28 Aug. 2010).[/SIZE]

Here's the Spanish version:
    pudendo, da.
    (Del lat. pudendus).

1. adj. Torpe, feo, que debe causar vergüenza.
    2. m. ant. miembro viril.
    □ V.
    partes pudendas

DRAE

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  17. galesa Senior Member

mallorca
    english wales
    Me neither!
    How about "Private parts" or "Secret place"???

18. rainbow84uk Senior Member

Barcelona
    English, UK
    Ooh yeah, I think 'private parts' or just 'privates' are both quite commonly used in the UK, although I'd say it can refer equally to males and females.

19. Joaqin Senior Member

Spanish – Colombia
    Really? Oh well, you would hear it here down in the South East.

20. Joaqin Senior Member

Spanish – Colombia
    There you are, one of the many online dictionaries that got the definition

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  21. sonic Senior Member

Spain
    Ah yes, I agree! "Private parts" is good and works for both boys and girls.