vale la pena (di)

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by andersxman, Dec 24, 2005.

1. andersxman Senior Member

Penso di aver notato che gli italiani tendono a dire ad esempio: "vale la pena andare a vedere se se ci sono i saldi (...)", quindi non mettono un "di". Mi risulta invece che ci vorebbe il "ci", o mi sbaglio? Spesso ho sentito dire che "non ne vale la pene". Ora, dal momento che si puo dire "ne vale le pena", sarà anche corretto dire "vale la pena DI andare"?

Grazie mille!
  2. Kaia

Kaia Senior Member

Argentina -Spanish/English/Italian
    Secondo miei amici italiani si deve dire "vale la pena DI andare"
    Inoltre, sarebbe "le pene" e non "la pene" se quello che tu intendi dire é il plurale di "la pena" (ma penso sia un errore di battitura)
  3. AlxGrim

AlxGrim Senior Member

Roma, Italy
    Italy, Italian
    It's correct in both cases. Actually, using "di" makes the whole sentence a bit heavier. To be extremely picky, there's a slight difference:

. Vale la pena di andare: the subject of the sentence is undefined
    . Vale la pena andare: the subject is "andare"

Ma non vale la pena considerare questa differenza.... :D
  4. TennaCe Junior Member

English/ USA
    Ciao. I was going the through the process of translating a message into Italian when I found a word that is mentioned, but there have been no questions about: Varrei or valere

The sentence I'm translating reads:
    E varrei tanto averti vicinna.

I'm guessing vicinna is supposed to be vicino.

I would like a translation of the sentence, and for someone to tell me if it means to be worth in this context. If not, please give me an example that it would indeed mean to be worth.

Millie Grazie,
  5. Alice_in_Wonderland Banned

Bologna, Italia
    Denmark; Danish & Swedish
    I think that was just a typo.

My take (don't trust me!;) ) is:

-And I really would like to have you close.
    ('You' is a female, here).

Ciao da
    Marta :)
  6. TrentinaNE Senior Member

English (American)
    I agree with Marta that the writer probably intended vorrei (I would like).

I think valerebbe tanto averti vicina could indicate (literally) "it would be worth a lot to have you near me," but I don't know if this sounds good in Italian. You'll probably get better replies when it's morning in Italy!

7. efano

efano Senior Member

Faenza, IT
    Italian - Italy
    This is wrong in Italian. The correct form is "Vorrei tanto averti vicina" (but also "vicino", using "vicino" as an adverb and not as an adjective").

TennaCE: if you want a sentence with "valere la pena", the meaning is different: it means "to be worth":
    vale la pena vedere quel film
    that film is worth seeing

Vale la pena studiare per avere un lavoro migliore
    It is worth studying to have a better job
  8. TrentinaNE Senior Member

English (American)
    Grazie, efano. But what if she's trying to say that "it's worth the effort to have you near me"?

9. **ellie** Senior Member

Italy, Forlì
    Your version is right if u mean "valere la pena" but I'm pretty sure that the original message wanted to be "vorrei" so it's just a mistake.
  10. efano

efano Senior Member

Faenza, IT
    Italian - Italy
    It should be "Vale la pena averti vicino", but this does not sound very well. It's not clear to me why you should use this expression. What do you want to say? That it is an effort to have you near me (eg I must travel a lot of miles to be near you; I have to climb a high mountain to reach you etc), but the value of being with you is higher?

Note that if "ne vale la pena", there should be some "pena" (ie. some effort or some pain) :)
  11. TrentinaNE Senior Member

English (American)
    Exactly. The original post in this thread asked
    I suspect that TennaCe's first impression (when she thought the word varrei was correct, and not a misspelling of vorrei) was that the writer was saying it was worth a lot to have her near. From the context, it sounds like they live far apart, so being near each other requires a great effort and/or expense -- but one that is worthwhile, che vale la pena. :D

12. TennaCe Junior Member

English/ USA
    Hi all,

I did think that the writer was trying to tell me that He thought it was worth the effort to have me nearby. I am in the US and he is in Italy. It won't be until May that we see each other again, so that made since to me. If he had said, It's worthwhile to me to have you near, what would have that been in Italian? Just for curiosity's sake and I'm trying to learn. I'll be doing an internship there this summer and am trying to learn quickly.

As far as the translation goes, I would like to have you close makes sense too.

Thank you,
  13. TrentinaNE Senior Member

English (American)
    Casey, I think that would be what efano wrote above, "Vale la pena averti vicino", though he added that it does not sound natural in italian. Maybe other madrelingue will weigh in about that!

14. roxiedoxie Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish/English-Puerto Rico
    Would it be correct to say "fanno valerne la pena"

for " they make it worthwhile"?
  15. Grtngs

Grtngs Senior Member

Can you provide an example please?

16. boadiceafairy

boadiceafairy Junior Member

maybe it would be better to provide the complete sentence :)
  17. fiorilù Senior Member

... fanno sì che ne valga la pena?

18. roxiedoxie Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Spanish/English-Puerto Rico
    The complete sentence would be:
    Il cristianesimo non è cammino facile, ma il glorioso Regno in arrivo e la comunione con Dio oggi, fanno sì che ne valga la pena.
  19. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
  20. davraf Junior Member

Italian, Italy
    Ciao, "to worth while" può significare "valere la pena"??
    Grazie, dav
  21. Pirlo

Pirlo Senior Member

Hi davraf,
    That is correct! Although it's to be worth while. ;)
  22. tense

tense Junior Member

New York
    In inglese non esiste un verbo per dire "valere"?

per esempio:

"Per quanto valga la mia opinione, tu non cambiarai idea"

"Non vale la pena continuare..."

come si potrebbero tradurre?

23. avantasia Senior Member

Italy italian
    Non vale la pena, credo si traduca in "not worth + gerundio".
  24. morgana

morgana Senior Member

Valere la pena = to be worth it

My try:

Non vale la pena continuare = It's not worth going on (like this)
    Per quanto valga la mia opinione = for what it's worth (can I say "for what my opinion is worth"?) aspetta un madrelingua, è meglio. :)
  25. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    You can say "for what my opinion is worth" but I wouldn't suggest it, sounds odd, "for what it's worth" is better.

Sì, è nel dizionario, "be worth"
  26. morgana

morgana Senior Member

Thanks Alex :)
  27. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
  28. newyorkeric Senior Member

Can someone please explain the difference between "valere la pena" and "valerne la pena?"

29. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    Hi, newyorkeric. Did you already see these threads? Here and here...
  30. newyorkeric Senior Member

Thanks, Necsus, but I am still confused about the use of "ne."

Here is a sentence I took from Garzanti: Fu molto difficile, ma ne valeva proprio la pena.

Is it wrong to say it without "ne":

Fu molto difficile, ma valeva proprio la pena.
  31. Necsus

Necsus Senior Member

Formello (Rome)
    Italian (Italy)
    I imagine that the translation of "ma ne valeva proprio la pena" could be "but it really was worth it", and in my opinion it is necessary to express this 'it' with 'ne' (or with 'di farlo' [doing it]). :)
    But maybe in previous threads you can find other answers.
  32. NaveVeloce Junior Member

Serbia, Serbian
    I'll try to explain it, but I'm not quite sure about it. You use "valerne la pena" when you want to refer to something you've just mentioned in the previous sentence, or earlier in the conversation. But when you intend to say what is or isn't worth doing after this expression then you use "valere la pena". Here are the examples:
    Non vale la pena spredire troppo tempo per questo.
    Hai spedito troppo tempo, non ne vale la pena.
    In the second sentence, "ne" refers to the first simple sentence.
    I'm not sure if I'm right since neither Italian nor English are my native languages.
  33. kittykate

kittykate Senior Member

Pavia, Italy
    Italy - Italian
    Hi all,

I think NaveVeloce is quite right, and that ne is necessary unless you state what is (not) worth your effort (or whatever):

(Non) Vale proprio la pena di lavorare così tanto - no ne

Sono stufa di lavorare così tanto: non ne vale proprio la pena

34. newyorkeric Senior Member

Thanks, it's clear now!
  35. NaveVeloce Junior Member

Serbia, Serbian
    you're welcome/non c'e' di che :)