Valiliğe tahsis edilmiş konak

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by Russianer, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Russianer Senior Member

Russia,St.-Petersburg City.
    Russian language- Russia.
    "Adana..Valiliğe tahsis edilmiş konak. "

What is it?
    Is it correct to translate: "a house of Adana's governor", or it is "an office of governor of Adana"?

2. snoopymanatee

snoopymanatee Senior Member

Türkiye/Turkiye
    Türkçe/Turkish
    It means:

"A place which has been allocated to governorship of Adana."

3. spiraxo

spiraxo Senior Member

istanbul
    turkey, turkish
    I think you want to translate "Vali Konağı".
    Residence of Adana's Governor.

Governor's Office Hükümet Konağı

:)

4. Guner

Guner Senior Member

Australia
    Turkish
    But be aware that Governer's Office and House of the Governer/ Government House may mean different things in different countries. Government House is usually the Governor's home during the term of office, and may serve also as an administrative centre to support governer's official program, which is usually called the Governer's Office. In Turkey (as far as I know) there is no special residential allocation to governers but maybe an upgraded unit in a "lojman" complex shared with other government employees. So Hükümet Konağı or Valilik Konağı can only mean the administration centre not the residence (house) allocated for the governer.

5. snoopymanatee

snoopymanatee Senior Member

Türkiye/Turkiye
    Türkçe/Turkish
    I cannot tell you how it works in different countries but in Turkiye, governers and even district governers have special residential allocations which are detached and protected, I cannot even imagine a governer or a district governer living in a public housing. :)

6. Guner

Guner Senior Member

Australia
    Turkish
    There you go ! :D In that case we can be sure that Hükümet Konağı or Valilik Konağı can only mean the administration centre and may not include the residence (house) allocated for the governer.

7. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    It should be "Hükûmet Konağı", otherwise it'd say "valiye tahsis edilmiş konak". "Vali Konağı" is the lodgings reserved for the governor himself, instead of the office reserved for the position. Since the said lodgings are comparable to a manor, the word "konak" is still used, hence the confusion. So, in our case, what we're trying to say is most likely Adana Hükûmet Konağı, which translates into "Government Office of Adana".

8. spiraxo

spiraxo Senior Member

istanbul
    turkey, turkish