1. WARNING: The forums will close for maintenance for 30-40 minutes starting at 10 am US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 4 pm in most of Europe).

Valor, valores, valores morales

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by yecido, Jul 2, 2009.

1. yecido Senior Member

Hello everybody. I was having a conversation with my American friends and trying to figure out how this culture manage and teach what we call in Colombia "valores","Valores morales". We learn this pretty much in school when we are young usually in religion class. My question is double:

1. How would be " valores ", "valores morales " translated into English ?

2. Does the concept of these valores exit in America, such as Amistad, Verdad,Gratitud,respeto etc ?

Thank you very much for your responses.

P.S I am trying to translate some worksheets to hand out to parents in English about this but I have them in spanish.

1.- Respeto
    2.- Tolerancia
    3.- Humildad
    4.- Honradez
    5.- Constancia
    6.- Amabilidad
    7.- Honestidad

2. St. Nick Senior Member

English
    Pues, no. Somos brutos. :)

Por supuesto aprendemos "moral values." Como boy scout, soy trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

3. yecido Senior Member

Sorry I did not mean to offend, my question was more directed to besides religion and boyscouts where/ how do you learn those so called "valores" and how it is called in English. Because here in colombia we have classes...(subjetcs in the school )from kinder all the way up to highschool

Clase de valores morales
    Clase de valores eticos

Should be : Values class ?
    Moral values class ?

Thank you

4. Jacobtm Senior Member

NY
    English - New York
    We have courses on "ethics" in the US, but not (in my experience), courses on "morals". But to describe Colombian classes, I'd say "Moral values class" or "Ethics class".

If you want the conversation to focus on it, I'd say "moral values class", because this sounds foreign and intriguing, but if you're just trying to let the conversation flow, I'd stick with "ethics class".

5. yecido Senior Member

Thanks for all your help. I am trying to find the most accurate translation so the American families know what I am talking about , since I will be teaching this class to children 4 -10 years old.

6. Jacobtm Senior Member

NY
    English - New York
    How will you be translating Honradez in your class? Is it more towards integrity, decenency, or something else?

7. yecido Senior Member

my guess, Honesty ? to be honest ?