Valuer or Appraiser

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Cloud, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. Cloud New Member

    Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    I would be very grateful if anyone can tell me the difference between valuer and appraiser regarding real estates - for me appraiser is more appropriate and more correct because the notion comprises both quality and quantity but I cannot figure out which is more right?
  2. Eddie

    Eddie Senior Member

    Nassau County, NY
    USA - English
    [size=+1]Hello, Cloud.

    Welcome to this forum. I agree with you that, in reference to real estate or objects of value, appraise is the more appropriate term.

    By definition, an appraiser is one who estimates officially the worth or value or quality of things; a valuer is someone who assesses the monetary worth of possessions.

    The only apparent difference between these two definitions is the use of the word things in one, and possessions in the other.

    Things is a more general term than possessions and would obviously include possessions. Real estate is not generally referred to as a possession. Possessions usually include objects such as furniture, jewelry, etc.

    As a native-born speaker of English, I would use appraiser when referring to real estate rather than valuer.
  3. daviesri Senior Member

    Houston, TX
    USA English
    I think the only difference is the Country. I did a Google on "valuer" and it seems to be the common name for and appraiser in New Zealand and Australia. It may be also used in the U.K. but I need to get back to work.

    Like Eddie said, appraiser is the common name used in the US. My mother has sold Real Estate for 30 years in the US and she has never heard the term "valuer".
  4. panjandrum

    panjandrum PongoMod

    Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Yep. Valuer in the UK - auctioneer, valuer, estate agent - a common combination here.
    The valuer's role is, as far as I know, only to place a value on the property.
    We do, of course, have surveyors, whose role is to do the appraising - the qualitative examination of a house/building/ "piece of real estate".
  5. Cloud New Member

    Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    Thank you very much.

    As far as this definition concerns British clients, I would rather use valuer, though I prefer appraiser. I should use the word now for translation of a job position and explanation of such a service in a web site.
  6. panjandrum

    panjandrum PongoMod

    Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Cloud: If you do a web search for valuer, auctioneer, estate agent, you will find there are many UK links - and you may find other terms there that will be useful to you.
  7. Cloud New Member

    Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    I am doing the web search, Panjandrum. Thanks. Can you help me with a suggestion for a reputable forum for properties or similar services in UK or of UK estate agencies.
    /You have a strange user name - does it mean anything?/

Share This Page