1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Vanhan laulun lyyrikat

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by akana, Jan 22, 2013.

1. akana Senior Member

English - USA
    Terve!

I have been trying to decipher the words to an old hymn, a recording of which I received for Christmas. The hymn was originally recorded in 1949 on an old wire recorder, and is sung by my great grandparents, whom I never met. Considering its age, the recording is quite good, but some of the parts are very distorted, and it is difficult to make out the words. Additionally, their Finnish bears the influence of their Swedish origins, and adopted American home.

After asking around, I have discovered that the hymn is a Finnish translation of "Some Day the Silver Cord Shall Break," sometimes called, "Saved by Grace," written by Fanny Crosby, in the 1800s. I am assuming that the age of the song makes posting the entirety of the lyrics okay. Sakvaka, let me know if that is not the case.

I realize that this involves a lot of guessing, but I would greatly appreciate if you could read what I have so far, correct my mistakes if something doesn't sound right, and/or fill in/correct the bolded parts, which for one reason or another, don't seem right, or were completely indistinguishable (I've typed what I hear). Note that the singers often seemed to sing "a" where it should have been "ä", e.g. satehet, instead of sätehet. My hope is that more fluent Finnish speakers might be able to think of possibilities that I cannot.

Also, if someone happens to have the words, that would obviously be wonderful! Kiitos paljon!

What I can make out:
    Kun kerran kannel särkylä
    Kuin nyt en silloin laulakaan
    Mut toimii riemu herätä
    Saankalatsisal kuninkaan

Ja katsella saan kasvojaan
    Oi autuana armostaan
    Oi autuana armostaan

Maallinen murtuu majani
    Mut milloin en voi kertoa
    Vain mulle kaikki kaikkeni
    Asunnon anteet taivaasta

Kun kerran päivän sätehet
    Sammuvat lammen jutskohon
    Niin herra lausuu hyvin teet
    Syntyä saan maan velpohon

Niin kerran siksi valvonen
    Ja lampuani hoitelen
    On Jeesus portin avattu
    Luokseensa silloin lentelen.

The English version:
    Some day the silver cord will break,
    And I no more as now shall sing;
    But, O the joy when I shall wake
    Within the palace of the King!

And I shall see Him face to face,
    And tell the story, saved by grace:
    And I shall see Him face to face,
    And tell the story, saved by grace.

Some day my earthly house will fall,
    I cannot tell how soon ’twill be,
    But this I know—my All in all
    Has now a place in Heav’n for me.

Some day when fades the golden sun,
    Beneath the rosy tinted west,
    My blessed Lord will say, “Well done,“
    And I shall enter into rest.

Some day, till then I’ll watch and wait,
    My lamp all trimmed and burning bright,
    That when my Savior opens the gate,
    My soul to him may take its flight.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    Most of the corrections were easy to do, and the English text helped a lot, but some lines were impossible to decipher – at least to me.

3. akana Senior Member

English - USA
    Paljon kiitoksia, Hakro!

It's likely that some of the language is archaic, and it even occurred to me that some may be Finnglish. I think they were singing from memory, because at times, they sing different things. For example, the line "On Jeesus portin avat(?)," one person sings, avaava, while the other sings avattu. Neither, however, seems to be grammatically correct with portin appearing to be in the accusative.

A question: I noticed that anne appears in wiktionary as an archaic word meaning "gift." Would asunnon anteet taivaasta make sense if it were indeed this archaic form?

4. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    The contents list of this choir songbook (song #208) is the only result from Google... Everything isn't online yet!

5. akana Senior Member

English - USA
    Hey, there it is! Well, at least I have the title and first line now—särkyvä is indeed correct :)

6. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    1) "on avaava" (olla + present active participle) is the archaic future tense: On Jeesus portin avaava means "Jesus will open the gate".

2) "asunnon anteet taivaasta" would sound really strange to me, and the sentence would lack a verb.

7. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    I doubt it. It's possible but it's difficult to say as the former line is impossible to understand (to me).
    Please note that the line On Jeesus portin avat(?) should rhyme with ...en.

"On Jeesus portin avaava" sounds understandable but it doesn't rhyme neither with the first line nor the last line, as it should.

8. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    How about:

But this I know—my All in all
    Vaan mulle kaikki-kaikkeni ... a funny translation of "my All in all" (God)?

Has now a place in Heav’n for me.

asunnon antaa taivaasta

P.S. I agree with Hakro that the last verse doesn't sound right without a rhyme.

9. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    all in all = kaikki kaikessa

(I've even heard native Finns drop the case suffix of the last word in Taru sormusten herrasta and use forms such as "Taru sormusten herraa" instead of "Tarua sormusten herrasta"!)

10. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    I think you're right, Määränpää!

I hadn't noticed the capital letter in "All in all" = God.

11. MaijaPoppanen Senior Member

Finnish
    I went to the Helsinki university library to see this book. I found it, but unfortunately it was a sheet music, so there was lyrics only for the first verse and the chorus:

On kerran kannel särkyvä

On kerran kannel särkyvä
    Kuin nyt, en silloin laulakaan
    Mut oi, mi riemu herätä
    Saan palatsissa kuninkaan

Oi autuaana armostaan
    Oi autuaana armostaan

There is a separate text book where the rest of the lyrics can be found, but I don't know what it's called so I didn't find it.

Curiously enough, there is also another translation of this song: It's called "On kerran kannel kaihoten"

12. akana Senior Member

English - USA
    Voi, suurkiitokset MaijaPoppaselle, että kävitte kirjastossa tarkistamassa! Ja nyt ymmärrän ensimmäisen säkeistön viimeisen rivin täydellisesti. Eli näin: Mutta oi mi riemu. Saan herätä kuninkaan palatsissa.

Pikku hiljaa se tulee selväksi :)

Kuulostaisiko alla oleva täysin oudolta?
    Syntyä saan maan lepohon.