1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

vauvansa

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by littlemonyou, Feb 14, 2014.

1. littlemonyou Senior Member

Korean
    ...koska hänen vauvansa syntyi.

Heippa! I would like to know what does this "-nsa" as in "vauvansa" ending mean in the above example. I know that the sentence means "because her baby was born", but the form of the word "vauva(baby)" is pretty strange to me.

2. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    The ending "-nsa" is called the possessive suffix that is generally used in Finnish. The form of the possessive suffix varies according to the subject:

My baby – minun vauvani
    Your baby – sinun vauvasi
    His/her baby – hänen vauvansa
    Our baby – meidän vauvamme
    Your baby (pl.) – teidän vauvanne
    Their baby – heidän vauvansa

I hope this helps.

3. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    [Hakro posted his response as I was writing this message, but I'm going to post it anyway because it took me at least 10 minutes to write. :)]

-nsa means the same thing as hänen, i.e., "his"/"her".

In standard written Finnish, when hänen precedes a noun, it has to be combined with the ending -nsa after the noun. Thus, it's considered incorrect to say hänen vauva by itself, without -nsa, but it is possible in some contexts to say vauvansa "her baby", without hänen at the beginning.

If the case form of a noun ends in a vowel, the form -an/-en is normally used instead of -nsa: thus vauvalleen "to her baby", vauvastaan "from her baby", and so on. The only exception to this is the partitive: since the partitive suffix of vauvaa is -a, the possessive form is vauvaansa, but when the partitive suffix of a noun is -ta (as in käsi : kät), the possessive ends in -an (kättään).

Hopefully that was a clear explanation -- let me know if you have questions about it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  4. littlemonyou Senior Member

Korean
    Kiitoksia paljon kaikkille! :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: