vauvansa

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by littlemonyou, Feb 14, 2014.

1. littlemonyou Senior Member

Korean
    ...koska hänen vauvansa syntyi.

Heippa! I would like to know what does this "-nsa" as in "vauvansa" ending mean in the above example. I know that the sentence means "because her baby was born", but the form of the word "vauva(baby)" is pretty strange to me.

2. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    The ending "-nsa" is called the possessive suffix that is generally used in Finnish. The form of the possessive suffix varies according to the subject:

My baby – minun vauvani
    Your baby – sinun vauvasi
    His/her baby – hänen vauvansa
    Our baby – meidän vauvamme
    Your baby (pl.) – teidän vauvanne
    Their baby – heidän vauvansa

I hope this helps.

3. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    [Hakro posted his response as I was writing this message, but I'm going to post it anyway because it took me at least 10 minutes to write. :)]

-nsa means the same thing as hänen, i.e., "his"/"her".

In standard written Finnish, when hänen precedes a noun, it has to be combined with the ending -nsa after the noun. Thus, it's considered incorrect to say hänen vauva by itself, without -nsa, but it is possible in some contexts to say vauvansa "her baby", without hänen at the beginning.

If the case form of a noun ends in a vowel, the form -an/-en is normally used instead of -nsa: thus vauvalleen "to her baby", vauvastaan "from her baby", and so on. The only exception to this is the partitive: since the partitive suffix of vauvaa is -a, the possessive form is vauvaansa, but when the partitive suffix of a noun is -ta (as in käsi : kät), the possessive ends in -an (kättään).

Hopefully that was a clear explanation -- let me know if you have questions about it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  4. littlemonyou Senior Member

Korean
    Kiitoksia paljon kaikkille! :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: