Vaya con Dios que yo voy con su hijo

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by TheOrient, Jan 27, 2008.

1. TheOrient New Member

England, English
    My friend has just sent me these 2 chat up lines. I`ve tried to translate them, but i`m having a bit of difficulty:

"Señora, vaya a con dios que yo voy con su hijo" - Mrs, go with god that I go with his son... I don`t quite get the meaning here!

any help would be GREAT
    thanks

2. Miguel Antonio Senior Member

Galicia
    Galego (Rías Baixas)
    Do wait for more comments/suggestions...

MA

3. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Spain
    Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    Hello TheOrient, welcome to the forums :)

Vaya con Dios means something like "Shall God be with you" and it is used as a form of farewell sentence.

So the sentence has a humorous double meaning:

Shall God go with you and I will go with your son.

The forums rules specify that only one question shall be asked per thread, as the forum serves as a complement to the WR dictionaries. Please be so kind to edit your post (edit button) and remove your second question and open a new one (and Miguel Antonio, I ask you to please do the same in order to have consistency in this thread)

Thanks,
    Belén, moderator/forera

4. Tezzaluna

Tezzaluna Senior Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
    US English and Costa Rica Spanish
    The orient,

Actually, "vaya con Dios" simply means "Go with God" or "God be with you".

It is true that the sentence has a humorous meaning: Go with God and I will go with your son.

Tezza

5. alexacohen

alexacohen Senior Member

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    Hello,

Tezzaluna has already translated it quite beautifully, but I just wanted to point out that in many Spanish speaking countries the third person "su" is used instead of the second person "tu".

I understand your puzzlement might be due to this fact, as the meaning you have conveyed in your translation is "madam, you go with God and I will go with Jesus Christ".

6. alacant

alacant Senior Member

Alicante, Spain
    England, english

Which was the way I understood in when I first read it, and thought it was part of some evangelical campaign.

Saludos, Alacant