1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

-ve/-va as a gerund

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by vesteralen27, Jul 29, 2013.

1. vesteralen27 New Member

México Sinaloa
    español mexicano
    szia¡¡

my doubt is if i can use a verb with suffixe "-va/-ve" to answer questions like: ¿mit csinalsz? I mean, if a verb with this termination can be translated like the gerund in english and spanish. for exemple: what are you doing in this moment? learning/reading/aprendiendo/leyendo.

so: mit csinalsz? tanulva/olvasva. are this kind of answers common, valid and productive in hungarian or not?

thanks for your help. Gracias por la ayuda.

2. Olivier0 Senior Member

Toulouse
    français - France
    This progressive use of gerund ("in the process of doing something") in Spanish and English does nor exist in Hungarian, the Hungarian answer would just be tanulok (lit. "I learn") = "I am learning". Some other uses of these forms are:
    - el hombre leyendo un libro = the man reading the book = a könyvet olvasó ember = present participle (melléknévi igenév),
    - leyendo aprendes = you learn by reading = olvasva tanulsz = gerund (határozói igenév),
    and only this last one is the -va/ve you are asking about.
    This -va/ve is also used for a passive meaning: zárva van = it is closed.
    -- Olivier

3. gorilla Junior Member

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    -va/-ve always expresses something for which a "How?/In what way?" question is appropriate. There are some overlaps with Spanish -endo and English -ing but only in some cases.
    Depending on the verb and context, the meaning can be active or passive, as Olivier pointed out, and sometimes it refers to a previous event that still has an effect to the present.
    There is a good article (in Hungarian) about the meaning of this suffix with many examples: http://www.nyest.hu/hirek/igeneveket-hatarozva