Venire (auxiliary) as 'to become' in the passive voice

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by shamblesuk, Aug 22, 2005.

1. shamblesuk

shamblesuk Senior Member

England, English
    Ciao a tutti,

Any rules or list of sentence structures where venire is used in place of essere, eg 'viene ucciso' = he/she was (became) killed?

Also would it sound silly if one said 'è stato ucciso'?

I was on a wine tour recently and 'vengono' was used a lot to desribe what happened to the grapes during the stages of wine making, rather than 'sono'.

Mille grazie
  2. archimede Senior Member

Using venire in place of essere is quite a widespread habit but, personally, I'm not a big fan of it. My suggestion is: avoid it if you can.
    Nope, that's perfectly correct.

3. RobertL2 Member

Davis, California
    English USA
    I'd be grateful for any guidance available on the proper use of venire as an auxiliary verb in place of essere. (Voice, tense, etc.) Is there some comparable use for arrivare and/or andare? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
  4. Panpan

Panpan Senior Member

Sawbridgeworth, UK
    England, English
    If someone says 'quanto viene' for 'how much is it', is this short form for 'quanto viene costa' where viene is an auxilliary?

5. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Just a very tiny thing, Panpan.
    Yes that's the complete sentence.
  6. Panpan

Panpan Senior Member

Sawbridgeworth, UK
    England, English
    I'm studying irregular past participles, and I would be grateful to know - when you conjugate using venire as an auxilliary, does the past participle have to agree in gender and number as with essere, or is it gender and number nuetral, as with avere?

Many thanks

7. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Venire has a similar meaning to essere and must be conjugated the same way.