verb+一下, 一下儿

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Vampiro, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Vampiro

Vampiro Senior Member

Emiratos Árabes
    Chile - Español
    Does anyone be so kind to explain me the usage of 一下 after a verb?
    Sorry for so basic question, but literature in Spanish is not good enough.
    Thank you beforehand.
  2. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

English (UK)
    Hi Vampiro!

一下 after a verb can have a number of uses, but let me try explaining the simplest and most obvious use for you.

You can translate 一下 as "a bit/ a short while". It's often added to the verb to make the verb sound less serious, less formal (and if use appropriately, you'll sound more polite).

First take some examples in English:
    Compare "I'll read" with "I'll have a read", "Taste it!" with "Have a taste!" you'll see that by adding "have a", the language sound less serious, less formal.
    Similarly, if you add 一下 to the verb 说 (say) or to 休息, you'll have the following:
    说= say/ speak vs 说一下 = have a word (about something).
    休息= rest vs 休息一下 = have a rest.
    So the ones with 一下 sound a bit less stiff, less formal.

I hope the above has given you some idea, but ask again if you're still not quite sure.
  3. Vampiro

Vampiro Senior Member

Emiratos Árabes
    Chile - Español
    Thank you!
    The explanation I’ve received is, more or less: “It is used for short, quick, actions”
    Is that correct?
  4. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

English (UK)
    That is correct, but only in the literal sense. Let's take an example:
    "He sounds a bit unsure": "a bit" here is not intended to be taken literally. It's added to soften the tone.
  5. Vampiro

Vampiro Senior Member

Emiratos Árabes
    Chile - Español
    OK, clear.
    Thank you so much.
    All the best.
  6. gvergara

gvergara Senior Member

Santiago, Chile

I'm having trouble understanding the expression 一下儿 when associated to the second person. In the case of the first person, I assume it means something like (Please ) let me... or (Now) I will... (spontaneous reaction/ decision) (介绍一下儿,一下儿, 休息一下儿), but I don't get the meaning when the subject is . Is it used in that case to make a command sound more polite or colloquial 一下儿 (Come!), 一下儿 (Listen!)? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  7. Hyperpolyglot Senior Member

你来一下儿, 你听一下儿 literally means you come for a while, you listen for a while, just think of 一下儿 as "for a while" then you can forget all about the grammar complexity that frustrates you which doesn't exist.
    我介绍一下儿 I introduce for a while, 我看一下儿 I look for a while, 我休息一下儿 I rest for a while, when you replace 我 with 你, then you can figure out what you want to say, nothing confusing here.
  8. BochinLution New Member

"English - USA
    Hola, en chino 一下 y 一下儿significa lo mismo , es como en espanol, vosotros decis "helado", "do" normalmente se pronuncia como "o" ,asi queda "helao" , pues que en chino es lo mismo, 一下 que 一下儿, si tienes alguna duda agregame en whatspp o face book ,busca "bochin lin" yo se hablar espanol y chino . creo que te puedo ayudar un poco.