Verb Endings [Ways to remember: rhymes? etc.]

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by onewhiterose, Sep 10, 2010.

1. onewhiterose

onewhiterose New Member

Hampshire, England
    English - England
    Hello :)

I'm always really bad with learning verb endings in languages (except German). Does anyone have any tips on remembering Latin verb endings? (I'm teaching myself, by the way.)

Thanks in advance!
  2. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
  3. onewhiterose

onewhiterose New Member

Hampshire, England
    English - England
    Thanks, but I'm looking for tips on how to remember them, not what they are. In my German class, we have a little chant we do, and that's the sort of thing I'm looking for; if anyone has any tips on how they remember them, I mean.
  4. bibax Senior Member

Countless generations of students memorized the Latin conjugations by repeating

amo - amas - amat / amamus - amatis - amant
    peto - petis - petit / petimus - petitis - petunt

Again and again. Instead of playing computer games. :)
  5. aviv chadash Junior Member

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any obvious way other than continual repetition. The books I use, take the endings and remove the -re, leaving the a, e or i. I always "picture" it as though the -are, -ere, or -ire is removed; doubt that helps, but there you are!
  6. rustymason

rustymason Junior Member

English - Texas, USA
    We chant the endings and some other forms at the beginning of every class. I remind my students to practice these chants a few times every day at home until they can recite them all forward and backward in under 5 minutes. It works amazingly well. Here is my chant sheet, though you should probably make your own for best effect:
  7. marco.cur Senior Member

The latin-italian dictionaries report the verb paradigm:
    amo ās āvi ātum āre
  8. englishmania

englishmania Senior Member

European Portuguese
    Unfortunately, you have to memorise them. And there's no miraculous tip... But you can do it if you try, of course. It needs practice, so practise a lot! :)

Well, I'm Portuguese, so most of the verb endings make sense to me, as portuguese has "similar" verb endings. But I had to learn them too.
    For example, Present: Latin / (PT): amo(amo), amas(amas), amat(ama),amamus(amamos), amatis(amais), amant (amam)

Use the dictionary! :)
    amo, -as, -are, -aui, -atum
    it tells you a lot about a verb ;) especially if it's an irregular verb.

Learn how to form the verb tenses (normally using the infinitive form: amare) and add the verb endings (depending on the person). These verb endings will vary but not that much.
    Basics: SING: 1st p. "-o" "-m" ; 2nd p. "-s" "-sti"; 3rd p. "-t" ;
    PL: 1st p. "-mus" ; 2nd p. "-tis" "-stis" ; 3rd p. "-nt"

amo, amas, amare, amaui, amatum
    Present: amo, amas,... amaT, amaMUS, amaTIS, amaNT

Imperfect: infinitive amare + ba + verb endings
    amabaM, amabaS, amabaT, amabaMUs, amabaTIS, amabaNT

I don't know any trick... but I remember using the "mnemonic" "ba" for the Impefect and "bo, bis, bunt" for the future.

Good luck! :)
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  9. Ben Jamin Senior Member

I began learning Latin in 1965, and until today I remember some of the stories and dialogues from our Latin primer. The key to understanding and remembering is context. Do not learn the tables of endings by heart, do not learn conjugation tables by heart, learn whole sentences that make meaning, e.g.: Mater filiam suam videt. Quid videte, amici? Make small drawings to illustrate the text (comic strip). You'll use half the time and triple the result.

P.S. The only thing to learn by heart in isolation are basic verb forms: amo, amare, amavi, amatus; fero, ferre, tuli, latum,and so on.
  10. bibax Senior Member

Little correction: Quid videtis, amici?

The conjugation tables are good for overall view and for comparing the verbal classes.
  11. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Thank you for correction. I hav not refereshed my Latin enough since the old times.
    Of course, tables are useful for looking up, but I believe that the methods I described are more effective when learning for the first time.