Verba volant, scripta manent [except for emails].

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by danielfranco, Jan 26, 2008.

1. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

Hi, Latin forum!
    First time user here. Look, I don't know any Latin, but I know phrases. I know that "Verba volant, scripta manent" is a phrase that means something like "spoken words fly away, written ones stay", or some such thing.
    But I'm trying to come up with a funny corollary to that saying. Something along the lines of:

"Verba volant, scripta manent except in emails!"

How would I say that in proper Latin? (Okay, fine, I know that "emails" will not be translatable, but...)

Thanks guys.
    D

2. Spectre scolaire Senior Member

Moving around, p.t. Turkey
    Maltese and Russian
    There is indeed a “but”...

I am sure some of the editors of Nuntii Latini, News in Latin”, have thought about a proper Latin coinage of e-mail. If nobody comes up with anything in this forum, why don’t you ...e-mail them and ask? :D

We are talking about the only international broadcast of its kind in the world, produced by YLE, the Finnish Broadcasting Company.
    :) :)

3. danielfranco

Cool. In the meantime, let's put aside the "email" aside for later, then... How would it be translated in Latin, the "except in" part?

And, you know what? Now that I think about it, it might read better as "except for", instead.

Let's see:
    "Spoken words fly away, written ones stay, except for emails!"
    "Spoken words fly away, written ones stay, except in emails!"

Hmm...
    [vexed]

Oh, well, I await your answers. Thanks.
    D

4. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    From some Web sites already listed in the resources section of LA:

email : electrogramma atis n, epistolium, mandatum electronicum, litterae electronicae, epistula electronica; cursus (publicus) electronicus

e-mail 1. (a letter sent via the net) subst. litterae electronicae 2. (electronic mail) subst. cursus publicus electronicus

e-mail / litterae electronicae (f. pl.)

Since they are neologisms anyway, I wonder if we are completely at liberty to choose the one that sounds best to us?

5. Hulalessar Senior Member

Andalucía
    English - England
    If you use an ablative absolute construction it would cover both meanings.

Verba volant, scripta manent - epistolis electronicis exceptis

6. danielfranco

Verba volant, scripta manent - epistolis electronicis exceptis

Oh, wow! Thanks guys, that sounds pretty good. I will use this as my signature in my business emails, from now on.

The background: every so often emails go missing, mysteriously. It's one of the many mysteries of the electronic age, I've been told. So, I recommend to the audience that important resolutions and agreements should not be allowed to free-float in the cyber-ether, but should be stored in a more durable format.

Thanks again.
    D