Verbs ending in ות-

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by airelibre, Jun 28, 2013.

1. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Until today, I assumed that all verbs ending in ות- are in qal binyan. I was out walking and realised that לנקות is pi'el, (מנקה etc.). Are there others like this? Is it a rare exception?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  2. ystab Senior Member

Hebrew
    Any verb of the נחי ל"י/ל"ה root group, meaning any verb whose root ends with י, has the infinitive form of ות-:
    Qal: לקנות, לבנות
    Nif'al: להיראות, להיבנות
    Pi'el: לכסות, לכבות
    Hitpa'el: להשתנות, להתראות
    Hif'il: להורות, להרצות

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  3. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    I suppose you mean any root ending in י or ה. I had pretty much realised without learning formally that anything ending in those letters would have -ot as an ending to the infinitive, I just hadn't realised that could be the case for any of the binyanim. Thanks for clarifying.

4. ystab Senior Member

Hebrew
    Just to draw a more accurate picture, there are a few (very few, one might say) roots which end in a consonantal ה, and are not part of the root group above. One example is the root ג-ב-הּ. Its infinitive form is not different than any other triconsonantal root with a guttural third consonant: לגבוה (pronounced: ligboah) - to grow taller. Compare this with לגבות (ligbot) - to collect (tax, due, share).

5. hadronic Senior Member

New York
    French - France
    There are also the rare roots that actually ends in ת, like לכרות כ-ר-ת, not to be confused with לכרות כ-ר-ה.