1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I wondered whether they have a specific name. Of course there are the 'auxiliaries', but some take to + inf. and cannot be considered auxiliaries. But do those have a name in linguistics?

I suppose some of them turn into auxiliaries after some time, like dare (where the to is often dropped, I believe) and need before.
  2. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Could you expand your question a little? It is not quite obvious what the problem is. Besides, what languages do you think of here?
  3. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I have two questions, I'd say: )
    - what is the precise name of those lexical verbs that can take an inf. with (or without-) to?

- would you think it correct to say that auxiliaries (like the modal aux. and the ones in transition [see above]) have developed from such lexical verbs?
  4. myšlenka Senior Member

Semi-modals is a term that is used sometimes.
  5. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    You are quite right: need and dare, and some more, are semi-modals indeed. I was wondering about the others, lexical verbs combining an object inf. or an object + inf., such as (a) I promise to be there, (b) I wanted him to do that, we incited them to do that.
  6. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

English - South-East England
    Catenative is a general term for verbs that can govern other verbs. (Catena: they chain together.)
  7. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Thanks, I had not yet heard of the term. I see it is quite common where African and other languages are discussed. I am beginnning to see that there is no real term for those verbs in IE linguistics but it might be more interesting to refer to semantic features that account for the fact that they are followed by an inf. or gerund, i.e., an action.

I think of : to incite to [an action] might be something like adhortatives, I suddenly think, to promise to [A], commissive, etc. I have seen names for these categories of words, but right now I cannot trace them.