Verbs married to prepositions

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by rever, Jan 19, 2011.

1. rever New Member

Hi everyone!

It is the 100th time I come across this problem and, finally, I have decided to post it to this great forum hoping to get an answer.

I usually write technical reports, texts, etc. Sometimes I want to express an idea with a verb which is "married" to a preposition (i.e. when thinking about that verb your mind always brings it with that preposition) but if that verb does not come with any object, I am not sure if i should write the preposition or not.

For example:

Mobility decisions must depend on the type of data we are dealing (with??).

Should the preoposition "with" be included in this sentence? Is it a rule of thumb or it just works in that sentence (I can't remember any other sentence now... agghh)?
  2. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England

"With" must be included here because we deal with data; we do not *"deal data".
  3. Iguázel

Iguázel Member

Spanish (Spain)
    Mobility decisions must depend on the type of data we are dealing (with??).

'We are dealing with' es una oración de relativo (defining o especificativa) en la que se ha omitido el pronombre relativo. La preposición DEBE colocarse al final de dicha oración.

La oración original (formal) sería:

Mobility decisions must depend on the type of data with which we are dealing
  4. capitas

capitas Senior Member

Castellón, Spain
    I agree.
    In Spanish we'd say
    Con el tipo de datos con los que tratamos, que tratamos (In English, that we are dealing with)
  5. Alcalaina Senior Member

English - UK
    There is an old-fashioned rule in English that you should not end a sentence with a preposition. Then along came Winston Churchill who made the famous quote:

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put."

This of course sounds ridiculous, and these days it is quite acceptable to put the preposition at the end. I would say "depends on the type of data we are dealing with".
  6. gengo

gengo Senior Member

These are two separate verbs:

to deal
    to deal with

The second is a phrasal verb. As you know, English is full of such phrasal verbs whose meaning is often quite distinct from the meaning of the base verb. For example, "to run" is quite different from "to run out" or "to run over." This is similar to some pronominal verbs in Spanish, in which the addition of -se changes the meaning of the verb.