Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by rupertbrooke, Jul 13, 2012.

1. rupertbrooke Senior Member

English UK
    The Turkish i was given by a friend is:-
    bana şu şeyi veriver
    but i am completely unable to analyse veriver. Veri means 'data' & ver means 'give' but why isn't 'ver' sufficient. Here is the full conversation:-

Claire- "Hey, Adam, hand me the- the- you know, the
    whatchamacallit." Adam-- "The what?"
    Claire- "Hey Adam,bana şu şeyi,/dalgayı,/zımbırtığı,/zamazingoyu, veriver"
    or, ''Hey, Adam, adi herneyse o şeyi bana veriver.''
    Adam-- "Adam neyi be :)".
  2. spiraxo

spiraxo Senior Member

turkey, turkish
    Hi rupertbrooke,

At the bottom of this page you will see The Accelerative Verb.

Sure it helps.

3. shafaq Senior Member

Adding on what mentioned on the page;; this formation is used as "encouraging/motivating mood ";
    - Buraya gelsene !
    -Yorgunum gelemem !
    - Geliver! Haydi !

as well as -at least in daily language - to soften the imperative mood for politeness purposes:
    -Şunu ver(sene) !
    -Veremem ! (in the manner of "It isn't my duty !")
    -Veriver lütfen !

Note: I have some objection on some of what mentioned over there on the formation of this mood which says
    " When adding the Accelerative - vermek to a verb then the vowel of the subjunctive ending -e narrows to -i or -ü thus: (güle becomes gülüverin and kese becomes kesıverin), while that of the subjunctive ending -a narrows to -ı or -u thus: (baka becomes bakıverin and tuta becomes tutuverin)" stipulating that it is formed via Subjunctive-forgotten in modern Anatolian Turkish- Mood. I think this isn't an accurate information... Because Subjunctive is an indirect and future-proof mood; while accellarating is direct and instantaneous . If this makes a sense; then all what mentioned there in last paragraph of the page is totally sensless.
    I think this -accelerative- mood is formed via "verb stem+x+p+vermek" (by dropping p in modern Anatolian) where x is either one of i, ı, u, ü -in certain circumstances preceded by y (i.e. okuyuver, aralayıver. ; which still exist in -at least some of) Asiatic Turkic dialects.

Alıp+iber :>>> alıpver >>> alıver

> ukhuyupiber > okuyupver > okuyuver
  4. spiraxo

spiraxo Senior Member

turkey, turkish
    Please also see following pages in this link.

page 75
    (y)Iver This suffix can occur with all the suffixes in position 3 except for -mAktA: bitirivermiş ...

page 141
    -(y)Iver mostly indicates swiftness and suddenness of an action, as in (73), or the ease
    with which an action is performed, as in (74):

I in the suffix indicates variability. iver, ıver, uver, etc.
    I changed the numbers in parentheses since they do not match with the examples.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  5. Guner

Guner Senior Member

I am sure the analysis done so far on this is more than enough and accurate so I will just come up with an alternative translation to resemble the "mood" of "Veriver" which is "C'mon! Give it already, will ya?"...Hope this helps.