Verlaufsform im Präteritum

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by maicart, Jun 17, 2014.

1. maicart

maicart Senior Member

Castellón, Spain
    Spanish, Spain
    I'm preparing an exercise for students to teach them the "past progressive" in German. Since this verb tense does not exist in German, I was thinking about teaching a couple sentences, a statement and a question. The sentences need to contain a contrast between the simple past and the past continuous, similar to English, so that students see the difference. Would this be alright?

1. What were you doing when I called you last night? Was machtest du als ich dir letzte Nacht angerufen habe?
    2. She arrived when we were having dinner. Sie ist gekommen, als wir zu Abend gegessen. I guess in this case you could say "...beim Abendessen", but then students would not realize the verb tense contrast.

Is there any website where I could find examples of this kind?

Thanks so much.

2. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    The sentences need to contain a contrast between the simple past and the past continuous, similar to English, so that students see the difference. Would this be alright?

1. What were you doing when I called you last night? Was machtest du gerade, als ich dich (Akkussative, jemanden anrufen) letzte Nacht angerufen habe?

I would prefer:
    Was hast du gerade gemacht, als ich dich letzte Nacht angerufen habe?

(gerade - this is a kind of indicator that you did something for some time - and during this time, there came the call. It is not required but makes it easier to understand.)

2. She arrived when we were having dinner. Sie ist gekommen, als wir (gerade) zu Abend/Abendbrot gegessen haben. I guess in this case you could say "...beim Abendessen", but then students would not realize the verb tense contrast.

I would prefer here:
    Sie ist gekommen, als wir (gerade) Abendbrot aßen. (This makes it clear that you were not ready.) ("Gerade" emphasized that it was during this time.)

Sie ist gekommen, als wir beim Abendessen waren.
    Sie ist gekommen, als wir am Abendessen waren. (Both are colloquial. See also "Rheinische Verlaufsform") http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinische_Verlaufsform)

The time forms in German are not very strict, and they are different in usage in the North and South.
    In the south often simple past is replaced by present perfect or past perfect - at least in coll. language and in dialect areas.

I found a (rather scientific) study, in the last part there are lots of examples.
    http://www1.ids-mannheim.de/fileadmin/lexik/lehre/engelberg/Webseite_LingMeth/Skript_08.pdf

They gave three existing kinds for proggressive:

sie ist am Essen (am-proggressive)
    sie ist beim Essen (beim construction)
    sie ist essen (absentiv)

---

Example: "Ich war (gerade) essen, als du angerufen hast." (= Ich konnte den Anruf nicht annehmen, ich war nicht da. Ich war essen.)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  3. maicart

maicart Senior Member

Castellón, Spain
    Spanish, Spain
    Wow, what a complete answer! Thanks so much Hutschi!

4. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    You are welcome. I added something when you were reading it, especially a ressource for proggressive in German.
    I want to add explicitely that in 1. also (simple) past tense is correct. I prefer the other form, maybe, because I'm from the south.

5. Glockenblume Senior Member

France
    Deutsch (Hochdeutsch und "Frängisch")
    Allerdings würde man in der gehobenen Schriftsprache sagen:
    Was machtest du gerade, als ich dich ... anrief?

Edit:
    Genauer gesagt, in der gehobenen Schriftsprache müsste man machen durch tun ersetzen:
    Was tatest du gerade, als ich dich ... anrief?

Mit Dank an berndf ausgebessert, der mich darauf hingewiesen hat.;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  6. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    In Deutsch ist es eine Frage des Stils.
    Meist stellt man keine solchen Fragen in gehobener Schriftsprache. Sie sind eher typisch für Dialoge in mündlicher Sprache.
    Allerdings sind auch in normaler Schriftsprache teilweise gerade bei Zeiten etwas strengere Regeln vorhanden.

Hierzu haben wir zahlreiche Fäden im Forum (die hier zu weit führen würden).

Aber die Frage ist:

Welchen Stil soll das Material für die Schüler haben. (Wir können die Beispiele präzisieren.)