1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

verschil tussen jou en u

Discussion in 'Nederlands (Dutch)' started by elektroowca, Feb 18, 2014.

1. elektroowca Junior Member

Polish
    Dag allemaal,

I generally acknowledge (or at least I thought I did ) the difference between the usage of jou and u but when I was doing this exercise I filled in numbers 4, 5 and 12 with jou/jouw instead of using u/uw and apparently it was incorrect answer.
    I've looked long&hard at these sentences but can see no hint why to use u/uw. Would the only hint in such cases be more formal sounding of the sentence?
    Here's the link to exercise:
    http://cambiumned.nl/hpoefjouwuw.htm

2. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    The hint is the fact that the questions are (or could be) directed at more than one person. 'Jou' cannot be used as a plural - it would have to be 'jullie'. 'U', on the other hand, can be either singular or plural.

3. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    4) could be "jouw" or "je", but not "jou". Ik erger me aan je/jouw/uw/gemopper
    5) must be "u" for the reason that Suehil mentioned ("aller" refers to a plural antecedent): Ik doe dit in uw aller belang. (*)
    12) can be: je jou moet niet vergeten je/jouw paraplu mee te nemen or U moet niet vergeten uw paraplu mee te nemen.

EDIT: (*)

Ik heb de oefening ook eens zelf gedaan en tot mijn grote verbazing wordt mijn optie hier als fout beschouwd en moet het zijn "Ik doe dit in u aller belang". Ik zou niet weten waarom.:confused:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  4. elektroowca Junior Member

Polish
    Bedankt voor de uitleg.
    Peterdg, now I'm puzzling over the difference between je and jou. ..Sooo, in sentence 12 you can't use jou since you (je) is the subject of the sentence?

5. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    Right. Jou can never be the subject. Je and jij (and, in Flanders, also gij) can be the subject.

6. Sjonger Senior Member

Netherlands
    Dutch - Netherlands
    It´s just not a good excercise. It is unclear what the exercise is about and indeed there are several good answers.