1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Verse - ¿Podemos vernos?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by JLO2012, May 15, 2012.

1. JLO2012 Junior Member

English
    How can I translate "verse"??? Is it like "to meet up with somebody" or "to see each other"? What's better?

Thanks!

Greetings

2. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Could you please provide some context? My dictionaries give no such meaning for the verb "verse".

Addition: I thought you were asking for the meaning of the English verb verse in Spanish, but have just realized that it's probably the other way round. In this case, the precise answer also depends on context.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  3. JLO2012 Junior Member

English
    The sentence is just: ¿Podemos vernos?

4. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    In this case I would say can we meet?

5. JLO2012 Junior Member

English
    If I would like to ask somebody to meet me and to drink something and talk a little bit, can I use the sentence ¿Podemos vernos? Or is there a better way to ask?

6. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    I am now completely lost. Are you looking for help from English to Spanish, or vice versa?

7. JLO2012 Junior Member

English
    I would like to know what "verse" means in English. If I invite somebody in Spain to meet with me, can I use the sentence ¿Podemos vernos? or how can I say it in Spanish? So it is more a vice versa question :)

8. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    One of the meanings of "ver" is "to visit or be with one or more other persons". So "vernos" is one of the possibilities, but you could also ask ¿podemos vernos/juntarnos/encontrarnos/cenar/tomar un café/...?

9. aloofsocialite

aloofsocialite modrageous!

San Francisco / Oakland, CA
    English - USA (California)
    Just to add, in Spain, another very common verb for "to meet" is "quedar". For example: "¿Quieres quedar para comer?" "Do you want to meet to have lunch?"

As far as I know, "quedar" only has this meaning in Spain and not in Latin America.

Saludos

10. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Aloof, are you sure about that? I had heard "quedar" with the meaning of "concertar una cita/making a social appointment"; and if someone I am visiting asked me "¿Quieres quedar para comer/quieres quedarte a comer?", I would understand that I am beeig asked if I want to stay for supper...

11. el_ochito Senior Member

Caracas - Venezuela
    Spanish - Venezuelan
    Oldy, aloof is right. In Spain "quedar" is to have a date (not necessarily romantic, just agree to meet for some reason). As a matter of fact, a fun anecdote is that Google even took this and ran with it in the Google plus Spanish translation of "hangouts", which are just what they sound like in English, a video room where several people can "hang out" together. In Spanish the feature is called "quedadas"

12. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Yes, in Spain, you can say both: ¿Podemos vernos? and ¿Podemos quedar? and, in this case, it would mean more or less the same (quedar - concertar una cita para vernos=vernos).

Saludos.

13. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    Gracias aloof, ochito y blasita. Ya estaba preocupado porque aquí estamos a media tarde y no había aprendido nada nuevo hoy...

14. JLO2012 Junior Member

English
    Thank you, blasita. :) I understand that "verse" and "quedar" are more or less the same to ask to meet with somebody. But is it also normal to use "verse" to ask for a date? Or is there a 'stronger' verb to ask a boy for a date or can I also use ¿Podemos vernos?

I'm sorry for asking so many things. :eek:

15. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    You're welcome, JLO.

Yes, in Spain you could use both. In this case I'd say, for example: Podríamos quedar/vernos un día./¿Qué tal si quedamos un día (de estos)? (these are more tentative). Podríamos salir un día/empezar a salir/¿Te gustaría salir conmigo (un día de estos)? (these are direct, straighforward, focussed on asking for the date, 'stronger').

There are many ways of saying it, actually.

16. JLO2012 Junior Member

English
    So much thanks. :D