1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Vete a la chingada

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by atlranita, Mar 8, 2005.

1. atlranita

atlranita New Member

Georgia
    US English Spanish
    Que significa vete a la chingada? What does that mean in english when would you say it?

2. lauranazario Moderatrix

Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico/Español & English
    Hi atlranita.. and welcome to the forum.

Well I certainly hope nobody said this phrase to you because it's extremely vulgar and extremely offensive. In a nutshell, it means go f**k yourself (as in go to hell, but much stronger).

When would you say it... NEVER. Unless you are prone to being offensive to other people --which is never advisable.

Saludos,
    LN

3. Lauren New Member

United States, English
    This is kind of a general question about the verb chi*ngar. I was wondering how vulgar it is.

I work at Head Start, a preschool program for low-income families in the United States, and one of the little girls who is on my case load used that word when talking to me about the novelas she watches. I fussed at her a lot, but when I told her mom, she acted like it wasn't a big deal. The context of its use was sexual, by the way. (I know it can be used in about 90 different ways but what she said was pretty clear.)

I also have a child who wears a shirt that says "Mi papá es muy chingón. Tiene dos viejas". I understand what the shirt is getting at, and to me, it's inappropriate for a 3-year-old -- but maybe I'm overreacting.

I would like a native Mexican or Central American's perspective on this.
    Thanks for any help, and I hope haven't offended anyone by using the words.

4. Sidd Senior Member

Spain
    Spain
    "Mi papá es muy chingón. Tiene dos viejas"

I laughed reading that!

let's see what mexican say

5. grumpus Senior Member

San Diego, CA
    English U.S.

HI Lauren,
    as far as I know, chingar and it's derivatives are uniquely Mexican.
    vete a la ching... is about the strongest thing one Mexican can say to another,
    maybe chin.. a tu madre is stronger.

"Mi papa es muy chingon" is not offensive (maybe a bit uncouth)
    "My father is a bad ass"

"Tiene un coche/carro super chingon"
    He has a really "cool" car

"no estes chingando" "stop messing around" or "stop bothering me"

So it really depends on the context. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it, least of all, if the parents don't care. If the girl wears a shirt like that, you already have the answer in front of you. And in reality, "bad" language never hurt anybody, I say equivalents in English all the time and I am doing o.k.

Grumpus

6. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    Well, here is a list that I hope will help you understand the different meanings of the word depending on context:
    DENOTANDO FRAUDE.......Me chingaron
    IGNORANCIA.............Sepa la chingada
    AMENAZA................Te voy achingar
    PREPOTENCIA............Soy el mas chingón
    DISTANCIA..............Hasta la chingada
    DESPRECIO.............Para pura chingada
    CELOS...................¿Con quién chingados estabas?
    INCONFORMIDAD...........¡Son chingaderas! Ya ni la chingan...
    PETICION................Vete a la chingada de aquí
    CALIFICATIVO............Chingaquedito
    HOSTILIDAD..............¿Y tú quién chingados eres?
    FRUSTRACION.............¡Ah qué bien chingas!
    TERMINAL................Esto chingó a su madre
    INCERTIDUMBRE..........¿Y no nos irán a chingar??
    CERTEZA.................Ya nos chingaron
    ADVERTENCIA.............Síguele y te va a cargar la chingada
    INCOMPETENCIA...........No se qué chingados hacer
    DISCRECION..............chingao
    ENOJO...................Ya me tienes hasta la chingada
    COMPASION...............Que fea chinga le arrimaron
    TRIUNFALISMO............Ya chingué
    DERROTISMO..............Me chingué
    HUMORISMO............Esta bien que chingues ... pero ¡a mi madre la respetas!
    DESPEDIDA...............Vámonos a la chingada
    CHISME..................¿Supiste a quién se chingaron ayer?
    ADMIRACION..............¡'Ta chingón!
    ANTIMODERNISTA..........Que chinguita con los celulares
    INCREDULIDAD..............¡Ah! chinga, chinga, chinga....
    ABURRIMIENTO............Pues ah! que la chingada
    DENOTANDO UN ERROR......Está de la chingada
    GOLPE FUERTE ................ Me dí un chingazo
    PRISA ........................... Vete a traer eso, ¡pero en chinga!

Please note that even in the non-offensive phrases the word is not said by the ladies nor in formal environments; also, most children are not allowed to say it, at least in front of their parents and teachers. It's use is very delicate because it can be VERY offensive.

7. carioquita Senior Member

Baja California
    México.---Spanish
    =======================================================

Bueno, en virtud de que eres Mexicano y yo soy tambien, te contesto en Español, todas esas majaderías ya las sabía y estoy en completo desacuerdo de utilizarlas de la forma en que me enseñas que se utilizan, creo que únicamente las personas corrientes y la juventud de hoy ( por desgracia )las usan enfrente de todo mundo.......ah yo no soy puritana eh ! pero si exijo respeto. Espero que le sirvan todas estas lecciones y opiniones a la persona que originalmente puso la pregunta.

bye

8. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    Estoy en completo acuerdo contigo, es una palabra vulgar cuyo uso es muy delicado. La lista que proporciono no intenta condonar su uso, simplemente es una forma de ilustrar a personas de otras nacionalidades sobre los diferentes usos, porque es una palabra que definitivamente se usa sólo en México, y sólo por medio del contexto es posible determinar el significado como bien apunta Lauren en el mensaje #3.

9. Cereth

Cereth Senior Member

language of love
    I love translating explained very good several ways to use the verb chingar. in fact this verb is sometimes easy to understand is similar to fuck, but it´s not easy to use, specially for a foreigner (spanish and latinamericans included)...

these verb can be considered as vulgar but i think is more than that, i think is a very rich expression ( a well known writer, winner of the nobel prize wrote about it -Octavio Paz-).. the verb "chingar" is not very polite of course but is a very passionate word that represents mexican duality...

i´m proud of the word :) damn it!

10. Translink

Translink Senior Member

Corregidora, Qro.
    México / Español
    Hola,

Tengo una pregunta. ¿Como se diria en Ingles: "Si sigues con esa actitud te voy a mandar a la chingada"?

Gracias

11. Robbie168

Robbie168 Senior Member

Mexico City
    Spanish, English - US & UK
    "Stop acting like that or I'll send you straight to hell" ???

As some people previously said, "chingada" is not the proper way of speaking, I would only use it if the person is known to me, out of work environment, and if he/she has already made me angry as hell, otherwise I would avoid it.

My best!!

;)

12. Metztli

Metztli Senior Member

The Purgatory
    Mexico Spanish / English
    La traducción de Robbie es correcta, sin embargo es una versión light de lo que quieres decir. No es lo mismo te voy a mandar al diablo, que te voy a mandar a la chingada, están de acuerdo.

If you keep on acting like that, you better go fuck yourself.

Sorry, pero así es ;)

Saludos

13. Robbie168

Robbie168 Senior Member

Mexico City
    Spanish, English - US & UK
    Thank you Metztli! I agree with you! I guess I didn't want to sound rude or anything like that.

14. Metztli

Metztli Senior Member

The Purgatory
    Mexico Spanish / English
    Sí, Robbie, ya sé que es difícil estar escribiendo la palabra asi nada mas en el foro... es una palabra por demás agresiva <<aunque sumamente útil ;) >> y a veces cuesta ponerla.

Bueno, ya está, ya la dijimos, ojala le sirva a Translink... Saludos :)

15. Translink

Translink Senior Member

Corregidora, Qro.
    México / Español
    Muchas gracias a ambos. Cual prosaico individuo salido del arrabal confieso que me gusto mas la version de Metztli.

16. sandpiperlily

sandpiperlily Senior Member

I would translate it as "If you don't get rid of that attitude, I'm gonna f*ck you up!"

This thread has made me laugh a lot. I love Mexican Spanish, although I'm still a little too timid to use "chingar" much myself down here.

17. Liz101 New Member

English
    ....My mom always yells this at me
    FOR NO REASON...
    Wow I shouldn't have looked this up..