Veuillez agréer, Monsieur, l’expression de mes salutations distinguées

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by chloe9999, Feb 1, 2007.

1. chloe9999 Junior Member

English, Canada
    Moderator note:
    Threads merged to create this thread.

What is the translation of this?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. Syl20bx Junior Member

French/France
    "sincerely yours"...

3. Mom24 Junior Member

Ontario, Canada
    English, Canada
    Au Canada, on dirait tout simplement
    "Sincerely,"

(lettre formelle ou informelle)

4. alisonp Senior Member

London
    English - UK
    Or "yours faithfully", which it seems to me would better render the greater formality of the French. I know of translators who just put "[complimentary close]" at the bottom of the letter and don't bother too much about it.

5. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

US usage:

Sincerely, (formal business letter, which matches your French phrase)

Sincerely yours, (formal but maybe not business)

Best regards, (more cordial and collegial)

Yours faithfully doesn't sound natural for business to a US ear, more like a letter from a priest or some other formal but non-business contact

6. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    There are quite strict rules in British English, or at least there were when I last worked in an office!

If you begin the letter with the person's actual name, you end with Yours sincerely.

If you begin the letter with Dear Sir, Madam etc, you end with Yours faithfully.

I had no idea there were such differences between AE and BE in this regard.

7. alisonp Senior Member

London
    English - UK
    I think things are loosening up (or possibly just getting sloppy, depending on how you look at it :) ) in the UK, too, although you're right. However, I frequently find myself having to write letters to a given individual and sign with the company name, which is a mixture of the above. I always sign "Yours faithfully" then, because I don't believe that "sincerely" is appropriate unless signed by an individual.

8. blowe46 Senior Member

Canada
    I've read this expressions in formal letters

Veuillez agréer l'expression de nos salutations distinguées

Please agree or please acknowledge my distinguished salutations?

what is the infinitive of Veuillez ?

9. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    […]

It is vouloir.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  10. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Veuillez is the imperative, while vouliez is a subjunctive.

11. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    […]

Il faut comprendre veuillez ainsi : s'il-vous-plaît, soyez désireux de...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  12. wildan1

That is a literal translation of one of the complex French letter closings that are simply expressed in English as:

Sincerely, (AE)
    Yours sincerely, (BE)

13. polaire Senior Member

English, United States
    Very truly yours (AE -- In formal letters to people you don't know well, or at all. Not always followed).

America business letters sometimes use closings such as:

With all best wishes for your future endeavors.

14. wildan1

(Very) truly yours,/Best wishes, are more like (Très) Cordialement,--polite but not as formal as Veuillez agréer...

15. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    But of course English used to have (a century or more ago) letter-endings at least as formal and complex as the "Veuillez agréer ...." forms in French : "I remain, sir, your most sincere and obedient servant", for example.

And French usage is beginning to slim down. I often see simply "Meilleures salutations" in business letters these days.

W:)

16. broglet

broglet Senior Member

London
    English - England
    I suppose if you wanted to be politely chummy you might write "Veuille agréer ..." although it has a paradoxical air. Qu'en pensent les français(es)?

17. Suedois-min New Member

French
    Thanks a lot, I was looking for something like this in my final letter for a job in Ireland.
    And it sounds pretty nice. Really close to what I wanted to say, but I couldn't find anything.

Thank you very much, once again ;)

18. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Welcome to the forum, Suedois-min. That's an admirable gesture, signing up specially to say thanks.:)

But I'm a bit concerned about what you may be putting in that letter for the job in Ireland. I'm assuming the letter is in English, and that you were referring to Macuisle's translation: "kindly... accept...." or "please be so kind as to.... accept....", for "Veuillez agréer".

While that is indeed the meaning of
    "Veuillez agréer", and it can be used to formulate polite requests or apologies, we don't actually use it in an equivalent expression to sign off a letter. If you put "Please be so kind as to accept the expression of my distinguished salutations" (or anything similar), the reader would probably fall about laughing.

Or perhaps I've misunderstood your intentions ...?

Ws
    :)

19. Macuisle New Member

English-Ireland
    HI..
    I am not clear from you last comment if you are applying for the job through french or English..
    If you are applying for a job in Ireland and the application has to be done in French, then the closing phrase under discussion is appropriate..
    However, if you are applying in English then a better closing phrase would be simply "Yours Sincerely",
    Slan,

20. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

:thumbsup:, .though more usually "Yours sincerely" (lower case s).

I assumed that Suedois-min, being a native French speaker, wouldn't have been stuck for a closing phrase in French ... but I could've been wrong. I agree it wasn't totally clear.

Slán go fóill
    Ws:)