Vicarious liability / respondent superior

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by apoziopeza, Feb 12, 2013.

1. apoziopeza Senior Member

In the petition I am translating there are two terms which seem to be synonyms, Vicarious liability and respondent superior
    Am I right that these 2 are synonyms or is there any difference between them?

2. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    I think you mean respondeat superior.

But to answer your question, respondeat superior is one type of vicarious liability: the master is vicariously liable for the acts of his employer under the theory of respondeat superior.

Vicarious liability is a broader, more general term that includes not only respondeat superior, but also, just for example, the liabiity of a parent for acts of his child. There are many other examples of vicarious liability that you can see if you do a wiki search of each.

In terms of translations, since respondeat superior is Latin, I would be surprised if you were expected to translate it into Spanish.

Also, there is an existing thread on vicarious liability here that seems satisfactory enough.
  3. apoziopeza Senior Member

Thanks a lot for your excellent response. One more question, is respondeat superior the same as agency superior? [I am translating the title of clause: AGENCY/RESPONDENT SUPERIOR]
    - yes, I can see there is a typo in there as you have correctly stated [should be respondeat].
  4. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    I have never heard of "agency superior." Where did that come from?

If you are taking it from that title, I think you are misreading it: "Agency" is one thing, "Respondeat Superior" is another. In other words, that word "Superior" only modifies "Respondeat," not "Agent."
  5. apoziopeza Senior Member

Thanks a lot for your response.
  6. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    A principal is vicariously liable for the acts of his agent. Perhaps that has something to do with the caption.