victim

Discussion in 'English Only' started by claudia2609, Dec 9, 2007.

1. claudia2609

claudia2609 New Member

EE.UU.-English
    Hello all,
    I'm looking for an antonym to the word "victim". I can't think of anything that effectively conveys the state of being the opposite of a victim, and I am trying to write about how people stopped seeing themselves as victims and instead became *x*.
    Can anyone help me?
    Thank you so much,
    Claudia

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Well, you could describe how they cease "accepting" what occurs to them, behaving passively, and take action or behave in an active manner. I can't think of a single word that could be considered an antonym of victim in the sense that you're probably looking for.

3. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    "I'm a survivor, I'm gonna make it..."
    Really now, I don't have any idea either. :(

4. Hi, Trisia,

I like survivor. It works well in some cases.

We talk about victims of disasters like plane crashes and hurricanes, so those who escape unharmed are survivors.

Rover

5. Vinlander Senior Member

Canada, American English (mostly)
    Well the actual antonym would be victimizer, but that is probably not what you mean (you are actually looking for a synonym). As mentioned above survivor probably works but it really will depend on your audience. The choice will depend on the presently popular buzzword for this idea for your intended audience.

As an aside, my bet is that the term survivor has limited shelf-life. These sorts of terms must constantly change, in this case especially as the term has become linked with a popular TV series.

Vinlander

6. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    I disagree that survivor necessarily has a short shelf-life. You will find it in many psychology contexts, where it is an accepted term.

7. Vinlander Senior Member

Canada, American English (mostly)
    I should have said in popular contexts. You are correct of course, technical terms often have a much longer shelf-life. I am not a psychologist and the only psychological terms I know employing survivor are survivor syndrome and survivor guilt.

Vinlander

8. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    Hope I didn't sound know-all and bossy - I didn't mean to! :)

9. jugen Senior Member

English USA
    I'm looking for the same term. Victor is probably a good etymological antonym but I'm writing about a Holocaust survivor, so I'll probably end up using just that term (thanks, Trisia).