1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Victus & bibō

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by babalo, Nov 19, 2013.

1. babalo New Member

Norwegian
    I am opening a restaurant situated on the first floor with a bar on the ground floor.

Name of the restaurant:
    Victus
    victus m (genitive victūs); fourth declension

1. living, way of life
    2. nourishment, provision, diet, that which sustains life

Name of the bar:
    bibō present active bibō, present infinitive bibere, perfect active bibī, supine bibitum

1. I drink.

What would be the correct way to connect the two latin words. Can i use "Victus bibere" or "Victus & Bibō"?

Thanking in advance for any feedback.

2. relativamente Senior Member

catalan and spanish
    Drink potus potus m
    potio potionis f

food esca escae f
    cibus cibi m
    victus victus m

lunch prandium prandii n
    evening meal cena cenae f

3. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    It's difficult to say how you would combine the two, as victus is a noun and bibo a verb.

There is also the unfortunate fact that victus is also a passive past participle, meaning "having been conquered." Thus those who know Latin will understand the combination as "Having been conquered, I drink."
    (The basic meaning won't change no matter in which order you put them: victus bibo, or bibo victus.)

Following up on relativamente's post, I would chose different words, for instance:
    cibus potusque / cibus et potus: food and drink. [Both versions mean the same thing; the version with -que ties the two more closely together.]

Or:
    edo biboque / edo et bibo: I eat and drink
    edamus bibamosque / edamus et bibamos : Let us eat and [let us] drink.

I assume that it is better to use words that are most likely to be transparent to your speakers of your own native language. If 'victus' is a term for food potential customers are likely to recognize, or resembles a word for food they know, then my objection to 'victus' is not relevant.

4. Quiviscumque

Quiviscumque Moderator

Ciudad del paraíso
    Spanish-Spain
    Babalo's message was a little too terse. Why does he want to use "victus"? Is it a play on words? What is the intended relation between "bibo" and "victus"? ...

"Victus" gives "victualia", that could be an alternative (I don't speak even a word of Norvegian(s), but in English you have "victualler" and in Spanish we have "vituallas".)