1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Vietnamese kinship

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by flukedivana, Jul 15, 2013.

1. flukedivana New Member

Thai
    Hello all, I'm new here.

I am interested in Vietnam kinship and I have so many question to ask. especially, i need an information from native speaker.

These are the questions.

IMGP661522222.jpg

Vietnamese Kinship chart

- From chart. I saw there are more kinship terms from father side than mother. It's about a society that focuses on men or not ?

- I heard in Vietnam they often used kinship terms as pronoun and main from father side, why ?

- Is it true that Vietnamese society focus on the descent of man is essentially a cousin ? I saw they have some word like Ông nội, Bà nôi which nôi mean inside and Ông ngoai,Bà ngoai which ngoai mean outside.

- Is Kinship term in Vietnamese show position and seniority ?

- Is a conversation in everyday life not necessary to say trai or gái ? example bác trai and bác gái say only bác.

Best Regard

ps.if possible who have reply please send mail to my inbox for an information of native spearker because i need to do a reference. Thanks in advance :)

ps.2 sorry for my bad english :eek:

2. tritan93 New Member

Vietnamese
    To flukedivana:
    1) As you can see from the chart, the father side only has one term (bác) more than the mother side. The term "trai" or "gái" is used to differentiate the gender of that person.
    2) We use these terms as pronoun to address others. However, I use all terms from both sides.
    3) Ancient Vietnamese society focuses on male members (father, son, etc.). In the modern society, we still continue using these terms.
    4) In a daily conversation, when you address a person, you can simply use "bác". However, when you are talking to a third person, you might consider using "bác trai" or "bác gái" to avoid confusion.

3. Bunoc Junior Member

Vietnam
    Yes. It's the fact that Confusianism societies such as ancient Vietnam, China, Japanese... existed discriminatory attitudes towards women for generations. But I have to tell you that the terms are variable in different regions. For example,
    In Southern: (in which Vietnamese is more official than in the one in your chart)
    mother's elder sister is "bá" or "bác"
    mother's elder brother is "bác"
    father's elder sister/brother is "bác". It doesn't matter to have "trai" or "gái". We just call them "bác + proper name".

I'm not sure what you mean by "main from father side", but I think it's may be not. As far as I know, for each "nội" person/position, we also have "ngoại" counter-word.

Sorry I don't understand very clearly, if you can rephrase maybe I can help.

Correct, if you understand them literally.

I think this is correct in every culture in the world. It's ethics when you respect your aunt, uncle, parents, grandparents... If there's any difference, it would be Vietnamese kinship terms are more detailed than other languages' ones. Because of that, each person/position in your extended family is (mostly) addressed by a particular word.

4. flukedivana New Member

Thai
    sorry for a late reply :( i had some serious problem for a long time

thank you for your answer and i'll be back asap