"Views" of a thread

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by Loob, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I'm sorry if this question has been asked before (I couldn't find a previous thread).

And I'm really asking only out of curiosity...:eek:

Every thread shows the number of replies (which is self-explanatory) and also the number of views.

Does the number of views indicate the total number of people who've viewed the thread - including people who are not members/not logged-in? Or does it only indicate the number of people viewing it who are members and logged-in?
  2. mkellogg Administrator

South Florida
    English - US
    Hi Loob :)

It is a total number of times that thread has been viewed over time
  3. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Thanks for assuaging my curiosity, Mike!:)
  4. CapnPrep Senior Member

And I wonder if anyone really finds it useful to know the number of views. Especially for older threads that usually have thousands or tens of thousands of views.
  5. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    I would like to say something relevant about the number of the views at the very moment: "viewings". Here you can see for example 50 viewings on Cultural Discussions, where it is not allowed to open a new thread, and 5 on Culture Café!
  6. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Dutch - Belgium
    And your point is...?
  7. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    I feel kind of surprise, because I would expect to see more "viewings" on Cultural Café. It 's an alive forum and almost everyday are opened new threads. Also, from the number of posts I can tell that people are interested in it.
  8. CapnPrep Senior Member

We were talking about the number of views of a thread, not the number of people currently viewing a forum. The number of people viewing goes up and down and, as you suggest, it does indicate the relative popularity of the different forums at different times. The number of views just goes up and up and up, until it means nothing more than "this thread has been around for a while" (but we already have the date to tell us that more directly and more precisely).
  9. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

Well, the thing that actually has me scratching my head a little bit is to find threads that have a few replies but no views! :eek: