Vin bourru

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Encolpius, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hello, I think there's no English translation and this type of wine is drunk only on the Continent. Do people drink this type of wine in your country, and what do you call it? Thank you in advance.

Czech Republic: it's common and it's called: burčák
    Hungary: the same and it's called murci
  2. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    Vin bourru - for those not knowing French I've added a Wiki link - is young wine, still 'cloudy' (that is - not 'clear'; the German word would be "trüb" but I don't know what the correct tanslation would be in this very special case), and yet containing quite some alcohol.
    (Or this maybe differs from region to region - in Austria we drink it when it contains already much alcohol, in other countries they probably do so when you hardly could get drunk from it at all, no matter how much you drink.)

In Austria it is called Sturm (literally 'storm' ... because it causes, well, some storms in your bowels, as the folk etymology goes).
    Sturm is extremely popular in Austria, despite all the side-effects it has. In Vienna it is even offered in the street on market stalls - as soon as the first Sturm leaves the cellars.

In Germany, according to Wikipedia, it is Federweisser which I only discovered now (never heard that word before, ever; there's also more regional German names in German Wiki) and also, says Wiki, this is only the name given to white (young) wine while Austrian Sturm both works for white and red wine.
  3. Angel.Aura

Angel.Aura del Mod, solo L'aura

Roma, Italia
    In Italy is called mosto-vino, according to this glossary.
    I remember that when my grandpa made wine, we called it simply mosto.
  4. sokol

sokol Senior Member

Vienna, Austria; raised in Upper Austria
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    Funny because Most [the similarity to mosto is evident :)] in Austria is:
    - juice of grapes who hasn't yet begun to ferment and so is free of alcohol
    - juice of pears and apples, no matter if it has begun to ferment or is in a "state of vin bourru" (i. e. not bein already proper apple- or pear-wine) or if it were already apple- or pear-wine proper

But Austrian Most never will refer to Vin bourru (that is, of grapes); and even if we are referring to apple- or pear-juice being in a "state of vin bourru" usually we refer to as Most-Sturm or Sturm-Most.
  5. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    In Portuguese I have heard both mosto and borra. The former is the most widespread term. The latter seems to be regional.
  6. OldAvatar Senior Member

In Romanian:
    The drink that hasn't got the state of wine yet, basically a grape juice, is called must (from Latin mustum).
    If the drink gets fermented and alcoholic, practically a very young wine, then it is called tulburel (diminutive, from Latin turbullus).
  7. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

How to up this topic?
  8. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek:

«Άγουρο» ['aɣuro] (neut. adj.) < Classical adj. «ἄωρος, -ος, -ον» ắōrŏs (masc. & fem.), ắōrŏn (neut.) --> untimely, unseasonable; compound, privative prefix «α-» a- + fem. noun «ὥρα» hṓră --> time, season, year (PIE *yeh₁r-, year, season).
    «Μούστος» ['mustos] (masc.) is the unfermented & impure (it contains the skins, seeds, and stems of the fruit) fresh grape juice < Byz. Greek «μοῦστος» moûstos (masc.), a borrowing from Latin < mustus --> fresh, young, unfermented grape juice
  9. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

I apologize for quoting myself but I just stumbled upon its ancient Greek name, which is «γλεῦκος» gleûkos (neut.). Its etymology is obscure.
  10. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    The Swedish name for the pressed juice from grapes during the fermentation process is (druv)must (grape must), grape is used in the name to differentiate it from must, which also is used for any kind of juice pressed from berries and fruit and which is not allowed to ferment. For vin bourru I would use jäst vinmust (fermented grape must).
    Last edited: May 3, 2013
  11. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

There is only one Tagalog word for clear wine and it is "Lambanog".If you want another term for Vinn Bourru in Tagalog form, i suggest the words "​Lamvinug" and "Vin-num".
  12. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I suppose it will be most in Dutch, but it is not very often used, I'd say.
  13. arielipi Senior Member

In hebrew:
    יין צעיר yayin tza'ir young wine.