Visayan: Diri banda

Discussion in 'Tagalog and Filipino Languages' started by john welch, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john welch Senior Member

English-Australian creole
    I am looking for an expression like "diri banda" in Indonesia and found this in Philippines : "bation gid ya ang rehearsal sang mga bands sa Banda Diri Banda Didto." It is something like "personal wealth" "person holding" in Indonesia. Could you tell me the Philippines use of "diri banda"?
  2. Pretty_Gaella

Pretty_Gaella Junior Member

Naga City, Bicol, Philippines
    Filipino, English & Spanish
    Hi john welch:)

Actually "diri banda" is a native dialect here in the Philippines.
    It's Bisaya and it's widely used in the Visayas region.

Bisaya: diri banda
    Filipino: banda doon
    English: over there
  3. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

I read that word in "Banda Aceh" but here in the Philippines the word "Banda" means " over here/there". In Tagalog Manila , It is common to say "Bandang Maynila mainit na" (part of Manila is already hot) and the expression " Dito banda" is also used .In Southern Tagalog; it is "Dini Banda" with same meaning of "Diri Banda" of Bisayanon in Bisayan Islands and Mindanaw.
  4. john welch Senior Member

English-Australian creole
    Very good. It seems to mean a component or portion of a larger containment. Indonesian banding "compared". Bali banda "tie, bind". Could it have the sense of a defined feature of land, such as a hill or mountain, which is a particular area "over there, that part"?
  5. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.