Visite médicale du travail

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by maxime123, Dec 15, 2008.

1. maxime123 Senior Member

San Francisco, CA
    French (Paris)
    Hello,

How would you translate "visite médicale du travail"?
    How about "medical exam"?

Thanks very much:)

2. bloomiegirl

bloomiegirl Senior Member

New York
    US English
    Hello,

Would you give us more information please?
    How about the complete sentence and the context?

Thank you very much.:)

3. Emmski Senior Member

Adelaide, Australia
    English and Australia
    We often just say a "medical", but a more elaborate translation would be "work-related medical examination"

4. maxime123 Senior Member

San Francisco, CA
    French (Paris)
    Hi Bloomiegirl,

To be more specific, the context is with Air France.
    All the flight attendants have to go through a medical examination once every other year.
    During this medical examination / check-up, they check your sight, your hearing, your heart beat etc...
    Work-related medical examination sounds good, doesn't it? :)

5. bloomiegirl

New York
    US English
    Maxime, quelle est la phrase complète en français, celle que vous cherchez à traduire ? Merci d'avance. ;)

6. maxime123 Senior Member

San Francisco, CA
    French (Paris)
    "tous les PNC (personnel navigant et commercial) doivent passer une visite médicale une fois tous les deux ans".

7. bloomiegirl

New York
    US English
    Yes, it's a "medical examination" or a "medical exam." The rest of the sentence will take care of the work-related part. ;)

8. maxime123 Senior Member

San Francisco, CA
    French (Paris)
    thanx a zillion:)

9. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Hello,
    Emmski is right in saying it's often just called a medical. "A medical (health checkup) once every 2 years..." It can also be refered to as Health Screening.

10. bloomiegirl

New York
    US English
    Hello Irishman... I could be wrong about this, of course, but "screening" implies, for me at least, a preliminary exam with a specific purpose. I'm not sure that's right for these annual employee physicals where x-rays are taken and blood is drawn for analysis, etc.

On the other hand, now that you've pushed me to think outside the box, I think that (in addition to "physical") "check-up" might work too. But I would still probably use "medical exam/examination."

11. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Hi ya,
    Oops, you are right of course about screening.
    In terms of context, I suppose it depends to on what exactly the medical checkup involves by way of exams.
    Here in France, I found the annual visit to the "médicin de travail" to be a bit of a joke ; in that their medical staff didn't appear to take it all that seriously, not as a service where serious health issues might be discovered from time to time. It involved, checking my height, weight, blood pressure, an eye test (read off the letters on the 4th line of the wall chart, please) and not much more. Certainly no blood test or the like. Disappointing to my mind.

12. bloomiegirl

New York
    US English
    Yes, Irish, I agree. It depends on the completeness of the exam. Since this is an airline, I assumed:rolleyes: they want to avoid pilots passing out (say, in a diabetic coma) while flying the plane. So I inferred it would be a comprehensive medical exam. (I do wish that they would do it twice a year, though, instead of once every two years.:p)

13. maxime123 Senior Member

San Francisco, CA
    French (Paris)
    Hi Bloomiegirl and Lirlandais,

Thank you for your explanations and help.

Bloomiegirl you are totally right, since it is an airline, it is a very comprehensive medical exam. They check everything in detail.
    It is very important for security, for instance a flight attendant must be able to see and hear perfectly (if one of the engine is making an unusual noise, if one passenger is sick and can only whisper etc etc) or in case of emergency (if the cabin is filled with smoke or is dark etc...) same thing with the pilots and co pilots.

Nonetheless , I think there is another medical exam with air france which could be called medical screening, it is the one you have to take when they hire you. If they find marijuana in your blood or realize there is somethign abnormal with your heart beat, then you could not work for them, and in this sense, I think it could be called a "medical screening".

So thank you both for your good help:)
    and have a great day in NY city and in Alsace

Max

14. Phillychick New Member

English-USA
    I agree with: medical exam, and check-up. In this context you can also translate it as a "physical" or as a "medical evaluation If there are going to be any studies done (x-rays, MRI etc.) then you would want to instead use "Medical screening."
    Hope this helps