1. Jadie Junior Member

English USA
    what does vivencia imply that is different than experiencia? is there an english equivalent?

2. lforestier

lforestier Moderator

San Antonio, TX USA
    Puerto Rico - Spanish/English
    Experiencia = experience
    vivencias = life experiences

3. Jadie Junior Member

English USA
    hmmm...does that imply a differential imprint on a person?

4. outkast Senior Member

English, USA
    Vivencia was a happy translation by Ortega y Gasset from the German term "Erlebnis". I don´t think there is a term in English. We need a Philosophy major, otherwise lforestier´s "experience" is fitting.

5. lforestier

lforestier Moderator

San Antonio, TX USA
    Well, experience can refer to all type of things that we learn from. Yet vivencias can be things we have gone through but not really learned from but just felt.
    These are very subtle differences that are extremely difficult to explain.

6. ivanovic77

ivanovic77 Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish, Catalan - Spain
    'Vivencia' is an experience rather related to life, whereas 'experiencia' is an experience perhaps more related to skills.

However, both terms have almost the same meaning.

7. Jadie Junior Member

English USA
    ah, a philosophical conumdrum. i should have known. vivencia perhaps refers to the kind of experience that engraves into the soul?

8. lforestier

lforestier Moderator

San Antonio, TX USA
    you got it.

9. outkast Senior Member

English, USA
    I found this:
    The concepts of Erlebnis (lived experience) and Verstehen (understanding) play a crucial role within Dilthey's endeavors to liberate the methodology of the humanities from that of the natural sciences. In his early writings, Dilthey made little effort to distinguish between these terms. Later on, however, Erlebnis is connected with the process of self-understanding, whereas Verstehen relates to our understanding of others. Dilthey's important point is that, as such, Erlebnis, does not provide self-understanding. Self-understanding is obtained only to the extent that the self relates to itself as it relates to others, i.e., in a mediated way. Yet Erlebnis, synthesizing and active, remains the psychological source of all experience, the experiential potential that is articulated and conceptualized in understanding.

This
    is the source.

10. Jadie Junior Member

English USA
    very interesting. vivencia, then, can be viewed as the transformative action of integrating self and external experience that then engraves into a larger "self"? what a great word!

11. Eucalith Junior Member

Español (porteño) Argentina
    i absolutely agree!!

incredible how deep language is

12. Homero Senior Member

Mt Juliet, TN
    USA--English
    What an excellent, informative discussion! Thanks to all who worked so hard to contribute to it.

Getting back to the translation, untying the Gordian Knot may not require a sword. Perhaps a term or phrase can be chosen in a manner faithful to the context, a term appropriate only for that context. For example, one can experience a bitter encounter that, as one looks back, led to spiritual growth or greater wisdom. Maybe a reference to that experience is written, "la vivencia de aquella noche . . . ". I would be tempted to flirt with something like "the lesson I endured that night . . . " But I would not be satisfied with my solution.

Could it be that the ideal translator is, among other things, a master of the source and target languages; a poet; an artist; a philosopher; a scientist; and a patient, loving, wizened old man? If so, I cannot qualify (except for the old, marchitado part), but I can admire the eloquent sharing of our experiences and vivencias.

Again, my appreciation to you all.

13. la_machy

la_machy Senior Member

Hermosillo, Sonora, México.
    Español de Sonora
    Vivencia:
    1. f. Experiencia que alguien vive y que de alguna manera entra a formar parte de su carácter:
      "su trabajo como voluntario le aportó muchas vivencias enriquecedoras."
    A mi me gusta éste significado que aparece en WR!!

Saludos