vobis, illustre domina (?)

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by susanna76, May 16, 2014.

1. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Hi,

I'm trying to find the feminine for "vobis, illustri domino." This is for some diplomas offered to both men and women. What would be the correct form for a woman? Does the following work?

"vobis, illustre domina"

Thank you!

2. CapnPrep Senior Member

France
    AmE
    Could you provide the whole sentence from your original text? I somehow doubt that these words are addressed to the person receiving the diploma.

3. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Yes, the words are addressed to the person receiving the diploma. I can't write more about it, sorry. Okay, here's the edited version:
    "NOS, INCLVTI FONDATORES BUCURESTIENSIS [...]
    ad omnium, quibus expedit, perpetuam notitiam futuram, tenore presentium [...] VOBIS, ILLVSTRI DOMINO, [NAME] [...] HOC EXTRAORDINARIUM DIPLOMA [...]"

4. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Salvete!

I am somewhat surprised that in this context of academic procedure, there does not already exist a formula. But
    would need in these circumstances to have TIBI in place of VOBIS, singular in place of plural.

Σ

5. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    And the feminine? (I thought about TIBI, too, as I was confused about what was going on there, singular or polite you, as VOBIS is, I assume. Also, I couldn't figure out online the feminine, so your help would be much appreciated. I go with "illustre domina" as of right now.)

6. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Salvete iterum

It looks to me as if it should be:

NOS, INCLVTI FONDATORES BUCURESTIENSIS [...]
    ad omnium, quibus expedit, perpetuam notitiam futuram, tenore presentium [...] TIBI, ILLVSTRI DOMINAE, [NAME] [...] HOC EXTRAORDINARIUM DIPLOMA [...]"

Perhaps with a full proofed text CapnPrep or I could confirm that this is right.

Σ

7. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    And I should have added: I don't believe it's normal in academic Latin to make a distinction between the "polite" pluraland the singular, in other words, use the singular unless there is a prevailing custom at Bucharest.

Σ

8. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Thank you so very much, Scholiast! :)

9. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Ave, Susanna

We're not quite finished. Is dominus/domina the accepted usage at Bucharest for "Master/Mistress" of Arts or Letters? magister/magisra is commoner in academic Latin, in the sense of one who has graduated.

Also, BUCURESTIENSIS: if this is meant to be nominative, it needs to be BUCURESTIENSES.

Sorry for being a pedant, but I'd hate it if someone gave me a degree-certificate with a mistake in it!

Σ

10. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Thank you, Scholiast! Is it nominative if it's "given in"? That's how I read it.

I know what you're saying. I tried my best to write well the few things that needed to be changed (date and feminine and one other thing).

I'm quite a pedant, too, and it's very frustrating to work under very short deadlines in a language you don't know. So your help here was much appreciated!

11. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Susanna once more

Forgive my tardy reply to this one. I'm unsure what you meant by

It's nominative if it is, or is congruent with, the subject of the sentence.

So if it's "we Bucarestian professors..." it's nominative.

If it's (for example) "professors at the Bucarestian faculties" (apud facultates Bucarestiensis) would also be right, but I suspect here that in your text it's something like Universitatis Bucarestiensis, which would be a genitive singular.

Hope this is not too late.

Σ

12. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Oh, sorry, there was another Bucurestiensis I was referring to. Never mind that one. I got confused.
    Here Bucurestiensis refers to a noun that follows it :)
    Thank you, Scholiast!

13. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Ave Susanna

It is crucial what noun Bucarestiensis is referring to. Please just give me the entire text, as "a noun that follows it" could be nominative singular, genitive singular, or accusative plural, and maybe something else.

Σ

14. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Ave :)
    It was SOCIETATIS and then the name of a company.

15. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Salve iterum

If BVCARESTIΕΝSIS is describing SOCIETATIS, then all is well (meaning "of the [name] Bucharest Company), then all is well. (But it strikes me as an odd form of words.) I hope that is right.

Σ

16. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Thank you, Scholiast!