Voice & vote

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Jun 25, 2013.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    The linkbetween calling and (our) voice (vocare inLatin) was raised in the call thread. But howdo you translate voice andthen to vote ?

Also interesting might be if you see a link between that word meaning 'voice'and Latin-based English words such as irrevocable,vocation, vowel, ...

BTW:any link with shouting ?
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. kirahvi Senior Member

voice: ääni
    vote: ääni
    to vote: äänestää
  3. ancalimon Senior Member

I don't think there is a connection between vote and voice in Turkish.

OY : vote.

It's related with several things like öy (idea, opinion, judgement), soy (surname), söy (to say), say (to align & arrange words (as in a saga), to count)

Voice : ses, ün
    to call : çağır
  4. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

French (lower Normandy)
    It can be the same in French:
    "une voix" = a voice / a vote

But we also have:
    "un vote"
    "un scrutin"
  5. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Voice in Tagalog is "Tinig" or in literal translation(when speaking) it should be " Sabi" (as in i said=sabi ko).The word vote is commonly " Boto"/ pagboto but i heard in elders the term "Pinili"(choose=select) and in older form "Inilalagay" (placing in..) and "Ihalal"(raising/placing him to the position). So 1.) "the voice of majority are saying that"(Ang tinig ng karamihan ay nagsasabi na) 2.) they vote him as their new over all leader= Pinili/inilalagay/ihinalal niya SIYA bilang pangkalahatang Pinuno nila.
  6. arielipi Senior Member

voice (as in sound) is קול qol
    voice (political voice) is same, and sometimes something different that i cant remember.
    to vote - להצביע lehatzbi'a
  7. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Hi, TK, in Greek there's no connection between the two:

Voice: «Φωνή» [fo'ni] (fem.) < Classical fem. noun «φωνὴ» pʰōnḕ --> voice, discourse, speech, uttering (from PIE root *bʰeh₂-/ *bʰh₂-, to say, speak, with o-grade; cf Skt. भनति (bhAnati), to speak; OCS баяти (bajati), to tell, narrate > Rus. баять, to speak; Lat. fārī, to speak, say). Verb: «Φωνάζω» [fo'nazo] --> to sound loudly.

Vote: «Ψήφος» ['psifos] (fem.) < Classical fem. noun «ψῆφος» psêpʰŏs --> lit. pebble (used as a voting/counting stone), later, vote, decision (with obscure etymology). Verb: «ψηφίζω» [psi'fizo] --> to vote.
  8. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I added an EXTRA question above regarding shouting: inLatin vox led to vocare, but not in otherlanguages,I suppose (I justsee /fonadzo/ inGreek, but that is sounding loudly, I notice).

Dutch: stem > stemmen (those who vote are thekiezers [‘choosers’ ], though, not the stemmers)

German: Stimme />/ wählen (to choose)

Greek/psifizo/ reminds me of the Frenchballotage...

9. er targyn Senior Member

Kazakh: voice - dawys; to vote - dawys berw, literally: to give voice (or voice giving)
  10. arielipi Senior Member

לקרוא likro can be used as shout, but the main word for shout is לצעוק litz'ok
    לצרוח litzro'akh is scream.
  11. bibax Senior Member

voice: hlas (root *gol-), not related to volati (= to call);
    vote: hlas;
    to vote: hlasovati (imperf.) ~ odhlasovati (perf.);
    vowel/consonant: hláska;

hlásiti, hlásati (impf.) ~ rozhlásit, vyhlásiti (perf.) = to announce, to preach, to proclaim, to propagate .... (loudly) by voice;
    hlasatel = announcer;
    hlásič = annunciator, alarm;
    rozhlas = radio (broadcasting); public address system;
  12. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Vowel: «φωνήεν» [fo'ni.en] (neut.) < Classical neuter noun «φωνήεντα» pʰōnḗĕntă (found only in plural form) --> vowels < nominalised adj. «φωνήεις, φωνήεσσα, φωνῆεν» pʰōnḗeis (masc.), pʰōnḗĕssă (fem.), pʰōnêĕn (neut.) --> endowed with speech, vocal.
    Consonant: «Σύμφωνο» ['simfono] (neut.) < Classical neuter noun «σύμφωνα» súmpʰōnă (found only in plural form)--> consonants < nominalised adj. «σύμφωνος, -νος, σύμφωνον» súmpʰōnŏs (masc. & fem.), súmpʰōnŏn (neut.) --> agreeing in sound. Obviously, both «φωνήεν» [fo'ni.en] (neut.) & «σύμφωνο» ['simfono] (neut.) derive from «φωνὴ».

In Greek (besides «φωνάζω» [fo'nazo] --> to speak/sound loudly, I posted earlier) we have:

«Ωρύομαι» [o'ri.ome] --> to shout hysterically < Classical v. «ὠρύομαι» ōrúŏmæ --> to howl, cry, roar (PIE *h₃reuH-, howl, roar cf Skt. रौति (rauti), to make noise; Lat. rūgio, to roar).
    «Ουρλιάζω» [ur'ʎazo] --> to scream < Byz. Gr. «οὐρλιάζω» our'ʎazo < Venetian urlare --> to scream, yell, howl < Lat. ululāre.
    «Κραυγάζω» [krav'ɣazo] --> to shout < Classical v. «κραυγάζω» kraugázō --> to shout, cry aloud (old onomatopoeic root *ker-, sound imitation of croaking call cf Skt. क्रोशति (krosati), to cry out; ON hraukr, sea-raven).
  13. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Arabic:

voice = sound = vote = صوت /sawt/

shouting = voting = تصويت /tasweet/

to shout = to vote = صوت /sawwata/
  14. arielipi Senior Member

In hebrew זעקה ze'aka is a cry for help, sounds similar to sawwata.
  15. aruniyan Senior Member

Voice(sound) : Kural ( the sounds of animals, including human)

Vote : Vaakku(new word that means Vote, but vaaku also means "promise", "unchangeable way/manner")

other words ....

Vaai = Mouth (opening)
    vaaimai = Truthfull words.
    vaaitha = Gotten
  16. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    But nothing like kur.../ ...ral? No derivations? ))) The vaai words sound interesting, but what is 'gotten' ?
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  17. aruniyan Senior Member

kurai - To bark, to make sound. here kurrrr i think comes from the sound.
    vaaitha - whatever one got/ended up with. (emakku vaaitha manaivi = the wife i got ). its related with opening/mouth and not related to sound, so ignore.
  18. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I see. But I still think it interesting because the voice concept implies sounds and the use of it, or other aspects having to do with throat or mouth, where the sound is produced. It is simplyinteresting to see what kind of associations (...) are made with suchconcepts/... as voice. [BTW:voice = a concept, a reality, ... (it is not just the word) ? If anyone canhelp to clarify what term I can use here,please do !]

BTW:interesting to learn that Greek links voice with sound as well [symfoné as consonant(containing son-, sound)], which we could call kind-of a metonymy, I suppose.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  19. ahmedcowon Senior Member

زعق za33aka is also exit in Arabic and means speaking loudly

3 is ayin
  20. arielipi Senior Member

zeaka is as well with ayin.
    i wonder what else there is in both languages.

רעש ra'ash, with ayin is noise.
    רחש rakhash is rustle.
    צעקה tze'aka with ayin is shout/scream.
    צווחה tzvakha is scream.
  21. Ёж! Senior Member

In Russian, there are two etymologically connected roots: «глас» and «голос». Both of them are noun words that mean 'voice': the first is elevated, the second is popular, with somewhat different meanings and uses. Some derivatives:

гласный — public; also a vowel;
    согласный — he who agrees; also a consonant (the meanings of the underlined prefixes coincide);
    голосистый — loud (seldom used; for example, about a person). Sometimes it can mean something or someone who sounds well ('has a good voice').

гласить — about a paper: to say something, to contain the statement;
    голосить — to cry loudly;
    голосовать: 1) to vote; 2) to try to stop a car on the road (for example, a taxi);
    огласить — to read aloud a paper, for example, a list of items.
    пригласить — to invite

There are also nouns like подголосок or отголосок that refer to what a person or the nature utters. The first word means someone who expresses his agreement with anything that somebody more powerful says; the second word means a sound that echoes other sounds (sometimes figuratively: this can be an event that echoes another event, for example).
  22. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

I'm very surprised to see "voice" and "vote" are connected in many languages...

In Chinese, they are not related at all.
    "Voice" 声音 is connected to "sound".
    "Vote" 投票 literally means "throw ticket" (drop ballot).
  23. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I suppose there are some kind of roll call votes and the ones where people 'cast' their votes on paper or on a ballot... But I had not realized the link between the two at first either...

The Russian words reminded me that vowel and vocaal refer to the voice root as well, which I had not realized. But what is the right transcription again? Is it /golo/ and /glas/? (I am sorry, I only know some Cyrillic letters, not all)
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  24. momai

momai Senior Member

It means to shout for help in Syrian dialect.