Volante (fútbol)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by saintly, Aug 31, 2005.

1. saintly New Member

UK English

I read a word today in relation to football in Uruguay - can anyone tell please what a 'Volante' is please, English translation? Does this player play in defence, midfield or attack?

Thank you.
  2. funnydeal Senior Member

Mexico, D.F.
    Mexico / Español
    I don't know the exact word for that, it's like a "joker /wild" position. I mean, the player can play any position.

I hope it helps
  3. saintly New Member

UK English
    Thank you for your help, you are most kind.
  4. saintly New Member

UK English
    Actually this player has joined my local team - so someone who can play in any position sounds very good!!!! Thanks again.
  5. Like an Angel

Like an Angel Senior Member

Córdoba - Argentina
    Argentina - Spanish
    I think is the one is called centre forward/midfield player, but I am not sure.
  6. karolus

karolus Member

En la web de la FIFA dice:
    • Español: Volante
    • Ingles : Midfielder
    • Frances:Milieu de terrain

7. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México - Español/Castellano
    In Mexico we call him mediocampista, midfielder.

8. maesepedro Member

English, Castellano USA/Argentina
    "volante," etymologically, is akin to U.S. soccerspeak's midfield / mediocampista term winger, an attacking player who plays out wide, literally the extended wing of the the team. wingback on the other hand, would be a "lateral defensivo." I have to admit to some obfuscation here as I have also heard "volante" used to describe a variety of attacking players representing several different positions in Latin American fútbol coverage.

-el titerero
  9. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
    "it's like a "joker /wild" position. I mean, the player can play any position."

If that's the case, gringos would call him a "floater."
  10. santibone

santibone New Member

España, español
    Volante is a specific midfield football player position, not exactly in the center of the field, a little bit more in the side... It would be a position between winger (offensive) and wingback (defensive). Normally they can center the ball very well but they are not so good in the dribbling...

Some examples of this kind of players: Luis Enrique or Beckham
  11. scotchex Member

US English
    The Univision broadcast of the Mexico-USA Gold Cup final describes Landon Donovan as a 'volante'. He plays sort of halfway between the two forwards on the wings and the midfielders behind him. He's the leading scorer for Team USA and considered the best player. He also takes most free kicks (like Beckham does).
  12. Lingus Senior Member

Arequipa, peru
    English - UK
    sorry people.
    Volante/mediocampista = Midfieder
    Volante de contencion = Defensive midfielder
    Volante armador = playmaker / attacking midfielder
    Puntero = Winger / wide midfielder

just for future reference
  13. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    This is useful information! Is "enganche" the same as "volante armador"?
  14. santibone

santibone New Member

España, español
    Indeed. And in Spain we use the term "media punta". Some examples of this kind of player: Maradona, Platini, Bergkamp, Iniesta, etc.