Volevo concedermi al gesto performativo

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by bise, Feb 5, 2013.

1. bise Senior Member

Italian
    Dear all,
    I am in trouble with the translation of this sentence, taken from an interview with a contemporary coreographer trying to explain his hybrid research and multidisciplinary approach:

"Volevo concedermi al gesto performativo, piuttosto che farmi paralizzare da criteri e parametri prestabiliti e da standard disciplinari"

My try is: "I wanted to give me to the performative act, rather than let established criteria and disciplinary standards paralyze me".

I am totally unsure about this... Is it possible to use "to give oneself" in the sense of Italian "darsi" in English? Another example of this, although slightly different, could be: "mi sono dato alla danza".

Thank you all!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    E cosa vorrebbe dire ""Volevo concedermi al gesto performativo"?

3. bise Senior Member

Italian
    Ciao Paul,
    credo che, parafrasando, possa essere interpretato in modo molto simile a "darmi completamente al gesto performativo in sè stesso, piuttosto che seguire criteri prestabiliti all'interno dell'ambito disciplinare in cui mi muovo, che avrebbero potuto frustrare la ricerca e incasellarla all'interno di standard preconfezionati".

4. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Hi,
    Yeah, this is a tough one.

Volevo concedermi al gesto performativo, piuttosto che farmi paralizzare da criteri e parametri prestabiliti e da standard disciplinari.

I wanted to give myself up to the performace, rather than be paralyzed by established criteria and disciplinary standards.
    I wanted to release myself to the performance.................succumb to established......
    ..................................................................................yeild to established.....
    ..................................................................................be bound to established...
    ..............................................................., and free myself from the established...

It's so figurative, you could do it many ways.
    I'll bet we'll hear more.

5. bise Senior Member

Italian
    Thank you very much Tim!
    Your help is always precious!

So it is possible to use "give myself" as an equivalent of "darmi/concedermi" (but my "give me" was wrong!).
    It starts to make sense ((-: