von Mainz / vom See

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by hcook, Feb 16, 2007.

1. hcook New Member

US, English
    Greetings,

I have a question about two words. What is the difference between the word "vom" and the word "von"? The context is in naming of German Shepherd Dogs -- some are <dog's name> von <kennel name>, while others are <dog's name> vom <kennel name>. My understanding is that both of them mean "of" or perhaps "from", but there is obviously a difference in the words. It does not appear to be related to whether the dog is male or female.

Thanks in advance!

2. Henryk Senior Member

Germany, German
    Vom = von + dem (definite article, masculine and dative due to "von")

However, I have no idea why some are used with "von" and others with "vom".

3. hcook New Member

US, English
    Henryk, thank you for your quick reply.

I must confess that I'm largely ignorant of the German language beyond a few words or phrases. The grammar is lost on me.

Would you be so kind as to explain why one dog would be von and another would be vom?

Many thanks!

4. Henryk Senior Member

Germany, German
    I haven't the faintest idea. I also don't know whether there's a point posting an original excerpt of it. Did you miss out anything or are both "von" and "vom" really equally used?

5. The dboy Junior Member

ipswich, england
    england english
    The only difference I can see is that von would just mean 'from' and vom would mean 'from the' i.e.

von [kennel]=from kennel

vom= from the kennel, defining a particular kennel.

In english we would always use he second version, but perhaps that is not the case in German.

6. übermönch

übermönch Senior Member

Warum wohne ich bloß in so einem KAFF?
    World - 1.German, 2.Russian, 3.English
    As already pointed 'vom' is a shortened form of 'von dem', 'from the *male singular object'; if the object (kennel) was female with a definite article, the form would be 'von der';

To illustrate this:
    "The Lady of the lake" from the arthurian legend is "Die Herrin vom See" in German; "the Bishop of Mainz" is "Der Bischoff von Mainz".