1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Vor der Zeit

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by jsleeve, Jan 17, 2013.

1. jsleeve Junior Member

Italian
    Hello, could anyone help me with this German > English translation? I really cannot link the sentences with "VOR DER ZEIT" (I can't speak German that well but I have to translate this passage from an interview for research reasons!):

Als ich 1994 dann LISBON STORY drehte, lag das ironischerweise noch ein paar Jahre vor der Zeit, in der mein voriger Lissabon-Dreh gespielt hatte.

Thank you so much!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    It just means "before", literally "ironically it was some years before the time my last Lissabon movie/scene played"
    It is not clear if "Dreh" refers to a complete movie or just to a special part/episode. But from context it refers to the movie.
    It refers to "einen Film drehen" (record a motion picture).

3. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    I think it means some years before the period in which my previous Lisbon movie was set.

Does that make sense in context?

4. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    It makes perfectly sense.
    Is "played" a false friend for "spielte"?

5. jsleeve Junior Member

Italian
    Thank you vero much to both, so would that be' translated like this?:
    As I then filmed Lisbon Story in 1994,ironically that was some years before my previous shooting in Lisbon had taken place.
    I am thinking over it but it doesn't seme to make much sense to me, chronologically...what do you think?

6. Hutschi

Hutschi Senior Member

Dresden, Universum
    German, Germany
    before the story/the handling of my previous shooting in Lisbon had taken place.

I transfer the German text
    in der mein voriger Lissabon-Dreh gespielt hatte.
    in der die Handlung meiner vorigen Lissabonaufnahmen stattfand.

7. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    OK. Wim Wenders made Lisbon Story in 1994. In 1991, he made "Until the end of the world", part of which is set in Lisbon in 1999.

So he is saying that ironically his second Lisbon film is set at an earlier time than his first Lisbon film. Big deal.

8. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    Scheint so. Plays in Lisbon bedeutet normalerweise "wird in Lisbon vorgeführt".

Is set in Lisbon = die Handlung ist in Lisbon. Is set in 1999 = die Zeit im Film ist 1999.

9. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Quite.

And what exactly is ironic about it?

10. jsleeve Junior Member

Italian
    Thank you to everybody, now much clearer!

11. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    I think that his belief (that this is irony) tells you all you need to know about Wim Wenders.