Vowel harmony boundaries

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by Leopold, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Leopold

Leopold Senior Member

Hi there.

I have never studied Turkish, so I came here to see if someone can clarify something for me.

I would like to know where are the boundaries in vowel harmony rules. More precisely, I'd like to know if separable postpositions (I've read there are some and I don't know if there are any prepositions), conjunctions and any kind of unnaccented word follow this rule. And if they do, do they have internal harmony or do they follow the harmony from the previous/following word?

And if you can point me to some paper discussing the matter I would be very grateful.

2. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Only the postpositions de (too, also) and mi (question particle) are separate words and follow the vowel harmony.
    Apart from these two, only the suffixes undergo a vowel change.

Other than that I'm not sure I follow what you mean by internal vowel harmony.
  3. Leopold

Leopold Senior Member

Thanks, Rallino.

What about other unstressed but separate words? Maybe conjunctions?

What I mean with internal vowel armony is (I'm gueesing), if there is a non lexical word separate from other lexical words, does it rely on the lexical words next to it for vowel harmony or does it has vowel harmony of its own? Are there any differences between monosyllabic and polysyllabic unstressed words regarding vowel harmony?

Thanks again.
  4. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

As I said, the vowel harmony occurs only when you add a suffix to a word. The whole thing is still only one word:

Okul = school
    -de = at
    -ki = who is
    -ler = plural
    -den = from

Okuldakilerden : from those who are at school.

-de became '-da' because of the vowel harmony. -ki didn't change, because it's an invariable suffix, and the rest of the suffixes remained in soft forms because -ki has a soft vowel.

Separate words like ama (but), ile (with), ise (if; whereas), idi (was) are never subjected to any vowel change, no matter how much stressed or unstressed they are.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013