US, English
    I need help translating this sentence:

"He will spell words with vowel pairs, homonyms, and blends correctly."

Thank you.

2. frida-nc

frida-nc Moduladora

North Carolina
    English USA
    Princess, I speak English but do not know what vowel pairs are.
    Could you explain?
    Maybe others would help if they understand the concept.

3. bolivianprincess New Member

US, English
    Thank you for replying to my post. I am a translator and some of the documents I am asked to translate contain a lot of professional jargon, which makes it difficult.

As I understand it, "vowel pairs" refers to a pair of words that have the same vowel sound. In order to learn vowel sounds and grammar, students are asked to pick out words with the same vowel sounds and match/pair them together.

I did a literal translation, "un par de palabras que tienen el mismo sonido de la vocal" but I don't know if that is the best way to say "vowel pairs" in Spanish.

Thank you.​

4. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    Do you think they're talking about "minimal pairs" here? E.g., "hat-hot" "bit-beet" etc.?

5. cyberpedant

North Adams, MA
    From the dictionary:
    minimal pair
    Main Entry: minimal pair Function:noun Date:1942 : two linguistic units that differ in a single distinctive feature or constituent (as voice in the initial consonants of bat and pat)

6. VocabloTrad Senior Member

Barcelona
    English - UK
    We're not talking about diphthongs, are we?

A pair of words that have the same vowel sound are the homonyms already mentioned in the sentence.

7. VocabloTrad Senior Member

Barcelona
    English - UK
    In case it's needed:

Diphthongs are two vowel sounds pronounced as one syllable - diptongo in Spanish...

8. bolivianprincess New Member

US, English
    I am still confused by the phrase "vowel pairs", but I think that Cyberpendant may be correct that vowel pairs are essentially minimal pairs. Dipthongs are different from vowel pairs.

I translated the sentence, "He will spell words with vowel pairs, homonyms, and blends correctly", this way:

Él escribirá palabras que contienen pares mínimos, homónimos y uniones fonéticas correctamente.

What do you think?
    Thank you

9. cyberpedant

North Adams, MA
    For whom are you writing? Concepts like "minimal pairs" (pares mínimos) will not be understood by a general audience.

10. cyberpedant

North Adams, MA
    Another point: "homonyms" are words that have sounds identical to one another, but have different meanings. They are usually spelled differently from one another:
    Sail -- sale
    Beet -- beat
    Ring -- wring